Skip to main content

You asked for classic die-cast models and we delivered

We’ve opened new molds and now we’re excited to release the first in a series of true 1:48 scale die-cast vehicles! Introducing this brand-new 1940’s era Chevy Panel Truck!

This 1:48 scale Die-Cast Panel Truck is beautifully decorated and extremely authentic! In fact, this 1940's era Chevy was modeled after an actual panel truck that was often seen at grand openings, car shows and other special events hosted by Menards® throughout the Midwest.

This panel truck has an attractive two-toned paint scheme with a blue body and black fenders. Similar paint jobs were common throughout the 1940s and 1950s. The side panels are also adorned with authentic graphics that are reminiscent of early Menards® advertising.

1:48 Scale Chevy Panel Truck (279-4221) Shop Now!

In case you miss it, today’s email is shown below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you! Thank you! I have been waiting for years for someone to make 1:48 scale vehicles from the steam era at an affordable price. I will definitely be ordering this truck. If it comes in different colors I will buy two! 

My main interest is scale sized equipment that runs on 2 rail track so Menard's hasn't made anything that is up my alley so far but I do applaud their efforts. I am glad I can finally support Menard's by buying one of their products. 

I have been saying for years that 1:48 scale cars can be made at a reasonable price point (less than $20). Thanks again for doing this.

Last edited by Hudson J1e
rrman posted:

Looks great and would fit into my layout.....but with that Menards logo I can't use it as Menards wasn't around in my 1940-50 era.  Now if logo was easily removable I would buy several and repaint

Yup, never satisfied , am I?

I would appreciate feedback if someone gets this truck and determines the logo is removable by peeling off or soaking with GooGone or similar.

Thanks

rrman posted:

Looks great and would fit into my layout.....but with that Menards logo I can't use it as Menards wasn't around in my 1940-50 era.  Now if logo was easily removable I would buy several and repaint

Yup, never satisfied , am I?

I do not have this die cast....but I did some die cast manufacturing in China back in the 1990's.  If these are made the same way die cast have been being made for 20 years a clean rag with some Lacquer thinner removes tampo without affecting paint. Paint is a power coat that is tougher. I did this hundreds of times when I'd take an older model, wipe it clean to make a new prototype. 

Now for Mark/Menard;s......

I am always honest about Menard's products.  So..........I have talked about a line of true 1/48 vehicles for many years. Never had the backing or anyone that agreed with me. So I'm kinda excited. Subject matter is good....not my pick but like billboard reefers (hint hint) a good model to offer in many schemes down the road. And a model usable in many eras.  The photos look like the model is very good, above average. Now my complaint. Price point. I was in town today looking for vehicles suitable for my sometime in the '50's layout. The most I spent was $6.99. True....these were 1/43 models but the 32 Ford I found was VERY nice above average.  I understand a new mold, that may even be proprietary, and thus  Menard's has to pay the whole price and get a ROI. In my own opinion a price of even $12 might sell more of them to bridge the gap.

Overall I will get a few.....and again Menard's surprises me on just how willing they are to support our little hobby. Thanks 

Last edited by AMCDave
AMCDave posted:
<snip>The photos look like the model is very good, above average. Now my complaint. Price point. I was in town today looking for vehicles suitable for my sometime in the '50's layout. The most I spent was $6.99. True....these were 1/43 models but the 32 Ford I found was VERY nice above average.  I understand a new mold, that may even be proprietary, and thus  Menard's has to pay the whole price and get a ROI. In my own opinion a price of even $12 might sell more of them to bridge the gap.

I take it you're not in the model car collector category. I assure you, for a model that appears to be as nice as this panel truck is, $18 is a near-giveaway price.

Anyway, I expect I'll buy a couple for the club layout.

rex desilets posted:

I take it you're not in the model car collector category. I assure you, for a model that appears to be as nice as this panel truck is, $18 is a near-giveaway price.

Anyway, I expect I'll buy a couple for the club layout.

Collector??? not sure.....but I like them......and need to sell off some of the 5,000 I have now. 

I'd call myself more a retired manufacture just relaying my version of the facts. Some of the items we manufactured are listed in collector books at 5 to 10 times what we sold them for. Why am I not doing it today??? Cost vs ROI. That simple. The companies like Welly and New Ray saw we were making money at our price point and they cut our throats. I'd not be surprised in a year or so I'll see a knock off of the Menard's Chevy at Rite Aid for $3.99......not as nice....but close.  So please relay your die cast manufacturing experiences and I'll be happy to read them and maybe understand better.  thx

Last edited by AMCDave

I just ordered one. Between the shipping costs and the processing fee it came to over $25. I was going to order two but the shipping cost almost quadrupled from $2.60 to $9.80. I really need Menard's to have a store in my state of NJ or for Menard's to sell their train stuff at train shows. Weird, if I placed a second separate order for one more truck I would save $1.80 as compared to buying two trucks in one order. 

The processing fee and shipping costs put this vehicle into almost the same price range as the Athearn 1:50 vehicles when they came out. At $28 each I bought only 3 of them and when Trainworld was blowing them out at $15 I bought 7 more. 

Anyway, just my opinion but under $20 is fine for a scale vehicle but over $25 and you are starting to get out of my price point. You guys who live near a Menard's are very lucky. I am not knocking Menard's in any way. I will definitely support scale vehicles for my era. I just won't buy as many as I would if there was a store near me. All opinion. 

rattler21 posted:

John, Time for some green paint and Air Express decals. Does anyone have the Length Over All, Wheel Base and Width of this toy?   John in Lansing, ILL

rattler21,

Bumper to bumper, this panel truck is 4" long by 1-1/2" wide and a tad over 1-1/2" high. The wheel base is 2-3/8".

Thanks for asking!
-Mark the Menards Train Guy

mike g. posted:

Looks Like Bob made it to Seattle! I wonder if he brought Mark the Menards guy with him. Menards would make a killing on the west coast tour do to the fact no Menards here but a lot of people would buy from the show floor!

All ready  for you Mike ! Right behind Lionel..can't  say the M.word here ..LOL20170120_141849

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20170120_141849

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.