Skip to main content

CBQer posted:

When I go into my local Menards store, I have to wonder about their commitment to O gauge as the counter is a mess, they have only Christmas leftovers. Do they plan to make trains a permanent part of the store? Sioux City has a metro area of about 140,000.

Dick

Dick,

If it was up to me, we would have trains year round. Hands down, they are my favorite things to look at when I go to my local store. The reality is, unfortunately, as warmer weather approaches, our market shrinks significantly. Thusly, we currently market trains (in stores) during the holiday season.

The consolation is all of our train items can be ordered at the hardware desk year round. Simply bring in the SKU numbers and they will give you a special order slip. The icing on the cake is you can pay for your special order trains by using rebate checks! Plus, shipping to the store is free!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

The willow run airport in Michigan that built the B-24 Liberators revolutionized the manufacturing process. Large parts of the plane were shipped in from suppliers as pre-manufactured and pretested modules. This sped production up by over 150% with very low defects. An amazing feat at this time.

6127306390_bcef85fedb_z

Planes where fully assembled and tested on site before being shipped to Europe and the Pacific theater. And yes the railroads shipped in many parts, tools, paint, fuel, and even workers to make this happen.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 6127306390_bcef85fedb_z
Last edited by J Daddy
Pat Kn posted:

The railroads shipped bomber assemblies to the factory for final assembly but they were flown from the factory to the airbase. It's still done that way. Smaller planes like fighters could have been shipped in pieces like RJR stated.

Yes, bombers fully assembled where not shipped by rail... that would be quite amusing... Even today shipping Boeing airplanes for assembly has its issues.

BNSF moves 737 fuselage_bizjournals_com photo_2-11-13Montana 1

Attachments

Images (2)
  • BNSF moves 737 fuselage_bizjournals_com photo_2-11-13
  • Montana 1
Last edited by J Daddy
Pat Kn posted:

The railroads shipped bomber assemblies to the factory for final assembly but they were flown from the factory to the airbase. It's still done that way. Smaller planes like fighters could have been shipped in pieces like RJR stated.

Pat I live in Mankato and was just wondering what it takes to join the club . I have just started back with model railroading. Just love to work on and run trains 

We don't have Menards in NC, but I have bought a few items from them over the years, mailorder.  I just got 4 flat cars from them to put Caterpillar tractors on that my grandson gave me for Christmas,  better them riding on the cars than the neighbors wondering why I was in the yard playing in the dirt.  Was curious about the company, search Menards and read about their shenanigans, doesn't sound like one of the best places to work, but you can get a good deal on stuff from time to time.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.