Skip to main content

Hello All,

I recently got around to building a permanent layout for my Lionel trains.  Most of the rolling stock is postwar stuff I got from my dad, along with a few mid 1980's stuff I got as a child.  I have purchased all new track and several 022 switches along with my father's switched that I reconditioned following advice I have read on this forum.  My problem is that when any of my locomotives pass over the switches the power is interupted and the e unit switches to neutral.  All fiber pins are in the proper position, all the locomotives have had the wheels and pickups cleaned.  I understand I am getting a power interuption.  My next step is going to be to test for constant power on all three rails but I am not sure how to do this on the switches, and/or track.  Any advice how to do this or what else to look for would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,   Don
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is the engine an O27?  Some O27 engines do this on O22 switches because the pickup rollers are too close together for O gauge.  I have had this happen with O27 engines. If the tender has a pickup for a whistle, you can run a wire from the tender to the engine to solve this.  If you lock an O27 engine into forward and run it fast, sometimes it will coast through the switch and wont go into neutral.

To test the power on the rails use a voltmeter or a light bulb with wire leads.  Put the ground lead on an outside rail and then touch the various center rails.  The bulb should light as you touch each center rail.

Bill

The volt meter should be set to "AC".  The range should be set to whatever is just higher than the voltage of the transformer.  My $10 radio shack meter has a range of 10 volts, then 50 volts so I set at 50 volts which is higher than the typical toy transformer that tops out at 16 - 24 volts.  Ranges may vary by model of meter.

With the power off, set an engine on the switch and study if there is any position where both pickup rollers are not touching one of the center rails.

Bill

DonBar,

1st take all your switches and test them independent of your layout, if you have all new track the problem is probably your switches, even the brand new switches can be faulty these days, QC is not what it use to be.  Then make sure your track entering and leaving your switches are all working correctly, and that you have the switches wired to the controllers correctly.  Then after testing your track run test with an O gauge engine that you know is in perfect working order.  Remember with Tubular track to test every pin, especially your mid hot rail pins, and if you have more than one drop make sure the drops are on the track properly, and not reversed some place on your layout.

Lastly make sure your transformer is in perfect working order and that your lines coming from it are connected properly.

PCRR/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad

Are you using fixed voltage plugs?  Were the switches bench tested before installation?

Are all of the 022 switches doing this?  Just the ones you bought?

Olsen's Toy Trains maintains a free online Library of LIONEL service manuals.  Here's a link to the 022 Service Manual:

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/searchcd31.htm?itm=673

The above has a very good description of how to test and diagnose issues with the 022 switch. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, i have figured out all is ok with track and switches.  I tested all voltages and narrowed it down to the rear pickup roller on one postwar loco, and the double a alco circa mid 1980's also has pickup roller problems, have cleaned and lubricated but the rear roller on the 665 that was my dad's needs replaced, can just this roller be replaced?  The double a alco has a few more issues but I have learned that these units aren't built like the older units and repairs are not always possible, will probobly just replace that loco, the third is a prewar o27 loco and the spacing on these pickups is too short to properly navigate the switches regardless.  I will either add another pick up to the tender on this unit or just switch the e unit to only foreward.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.