Skip to main content

BOB,

Since you are in a meeting right now with some of Menard's Research and Development people, please tell them to build the following.

1 Switches for their tubular track.

2. Rubber roadbed for their tubular track.

3. Single dome tank cars.

4. Several new buildings.

5. Girder and truss bridges.

6. Scale cylindrical and center flow hoppers.  

jim sutter posted:

BOB,

Since you are in a meeting right now with some of Menard's Research and Development people, please tell them to build the following.

1 Switches for their tubular track.

Gargraves Ross here but I can see others buying them

2. Rubber roadbed for their tubular track.

Just a simple bevel edge 1/2" recycled rubber would work. I just bought a bed pad for my F150 made of this.....nice stuff. 

3. Single dome tank cars.

You know I want UTLX and GATX black 8K single domes!

4. Several new buildings.

More mid century like Red Owl.....YES

5. Girder and truss bridges.

Truss bridges for sure!!!

6. Scale cylindrical and center flow hoppers.  

Those, Reefers, scale gondola and maybe a log car??? I'd buy them all!

jim sutter posted:

I would like to hear from him everyday Monday Thru Friday. He could provide us with updates, as to want we will see later this year. He could be asking us as what we would like to see built. I could be wrong, but I believe a lot of the new product we will see this year is already here.

Jim,

To be honest, I'm stretched pretty thin and I don't think daily updates are feasible. I'm involved in all product development (in some fashion or another), advertising, graphics and more.

I can assure you, we are listening to what people are requesting. And, one of the things I love about this community are the ideas. It just takes time.

As far as new products coming, I'm sure we can't keep up this blistering pace all year long but we've got some great stuff coming!

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

Last edited by Menards
jim sutter posted:

I would like to hear from him everyday Monday Thru Friday. He could provide us with updates, as to want we will see later this year. He could be asking us as what we would like to see built. I could be wrong, but I believe a lot of the new product we will see this year is already here.

Keep some perspective here. Menards is not a model railroad manufacturer. This is a sideline for a multimillion dollar home improvement chain whose owner just so happens to be a train guy.

I'm amazed Mark contributes to the forum as much as he does.

Last edited by Jim R.
jim sutter posted:

Jim: are really serious  ???? Mark is doing a bang up job. Like he said,,,please read his response...Do the other manufacturers  give daily  update ?? NO..

Careful Play you don't want to get others upset, they could just add salt to your wounds! Heck they might even pepper you for rocking the boat.  I think they are just trying to stir the pot to see who boils over. Just take a deep breath and think of nice cold BEER from Menards future BREWERY!

falconservice posted:
The 7-post. plug-door 50' box cars built for the SOO LINE and GREAT NORTHERN must be made in O scale. Fox Valley Models made them in HO and N scale already. There are many paint scheme variations to produce.

This point that something is available in HO and/or N scales as a justification why it should be available in O is foolhardy. HO and N scale are both far bigger markets that O. And when you're talking O, the traditional O GAUGE market is far bigger than the recent O scale market. Though the O scale market gets all the talk (ironically on the traditional forum), because it is the NEW thing, not the biggest thing.... not by a long shot!!

Just because someone has an idea, doesn't mean it is a practically produced item. Dies and tooling for an accurately scale detailed/proportioned piece of rolling stock can be $100,000.00. Ten years ago, Athearn said a newly tooled locomotive cost was $200,000.00. You can bet that cost has gone up and is MUCH MORE for O since the molds are far bigger. When the train companies are looking at over $300,000.00 for a new locomotive to be brought to a weak O gauge market... well that might explain the supposed lack of new tooling.

Andrew, maybe you NEED to start your own company and immediately spend 100 million dollars in tooling to bring out immediately all these products you say the O gauge market needs because they've NEVER been done (Mike Wolf spent $60 million and that was 25 years ago).

Or better yet, send all these companies the money to make these products... a generous gift with no time limit on return and no interest required. Who do you want to make this 7 post box car? Send them $100,000.00 to tool it up (and they'll let you know if there's a cost overrun, because you'll gladly send MORE money).

See how ridiculous that sounds??? And yet the entitlement attitude of many in this hobby demands the train importers do the same. News flash: The train companies are not welfare organizations for the entitlement generation of hobbyists.

They're companies... businesses: They NEED to make a profit. They have to have a positive cash flow, which means successful sales of existing products, since everything that comes out of China has to be paid for upfront in advance of shipment.

Anyone remember K-Line? They weren't satisfied being successful in the traditional 0/027 market. So they poured too much money, too quickly into new tooling of new scale products which then didn't sell sufficiently, causing a massive cash flow problem. Many raved about those scale products when they became blowouts, but blowouts are bad for the company. K-Line was then $3.8 million in debt to Sanda Kan, and another $1.5 million in debt to the banks to finance the other debt.

Moral of that story: Too much new tooling, too soon, with too much unsold inventory from new tooling that has not accrued its' investment dollars, thus bringing poor cash flow spells "going out of business soon."

Like it or not, Menards is already doing one heck of a great job and a great service to the O gauge community. And they're doing it the right way. Outside of the buildings (which don't require injection molding dies), they're pretty much using the same models (which are clones of previously made products, which lowers R&D cost) with a multitude of road names. Which by the way, even paint masks are not cheap.

Thanks again Mark for everything Menards HAS ALREADY offered. And again, I admire your patience. There are many in this hobby who know everything about trains, but know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how much it costs to have them made and running a successful business which allows that to happen.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.