Skip to main content

Andrew, Paul Graf of Atlas has said that after they were dropped by Sanda Kan as the vendor manufacturer of their products, that much of their dies and tooling were severely damaged and required extensive refurbishing. Some had to be done over again.

Atlas has never addressed the Industrial Rail line, but it is safe to assume that if their scale product dies were damaged, then probably in all likelihood, the Industrial Rail dies were also damaged. So the decision for Atlas is whether it is worth the financial investment to refurbish or replace those dies.

I haven't suggested that Menards purchase the IR tooling, because very simply put, it MAY NOT be for sale. Same goes for the prior RMT products, for which Sanda Kan still owns the dies and tooling. If Kader doesn't wish to sell the dies and tooling, then no amount of requests or complaining here is going to change anything. For us modelers, trains are a passion. For the train companies, it's business pure and simple. They don't have to share our passion, though it is helpful to them if they at least recognize that passion.

As I said before, us wanting products and having a company embark to have them profitably made are two different things. Check out some of the things Scott Mann has said on the 3RS forum here.

If company A sees fit to sell off their tooling and dies to another competitor, company B, that's a decision made between those two companies, and they hardly need our consent or advice to do such. If you remember recent history, Weaver attempted to find another buyer to operate the existing company. Then they tried to find someone to take ALL the assets. They ended up selling off the dies and tooling to differing companies.

Lionel didn't get some of the former Weaver dies because folks here suggested it. Lionel got the Weaver dies because they reached an amicable price in negotiations. If you also recall, there were some here who speculated Lionel would be moving to Northumberland, PA because of this. Hmmm, wrong again.

Addendum: I'm not attacking you Andrew. But when you say the train makers "must" make this, well, then by the same token would you like folks telling you how to run your layout? Or what you "must" purchase? Try being thankful for what is already available. If that's not enough, try your hand at repainting or scratch building. Or paying someone to do it for you.

AND YES, I have made comments about Swafford's continual suggestions. And I'm not attacking him either. Allan Miller said this here, YEARS AGO, referencing the continual unhappiness of some in this hobby... "some of you need to get a new hobby."

I wouldn't suggest that anyone leave the train hobby. I would suggest folks learn how to be happy with the multitude of products that are already available! And that what all the other manufacturers are calling a "soft market," that Menards has taken a chance and offered the many products they've already offered. 

Last edited by brianel_k-lineguy

Hey Guys lets think about all the  cool stuff Menards has already brought to the rails! Then thin about all the great buildings that have made for our layouts!

I see it this way, at the rate they are going, some day they are going to make something we all want. It may take longer for some of you to get what you want then it does for me to get my BREWERY or Play Trains Salt car. But hell they are doing things other manufactures are not! Bringing us new stuff ready to buy and ship when the say!

Sorry Mark, Bob, Play, oh and Paul 2, I had to vent!

Menards posted:
nkp4me posted:

Mark - if we had ideas is it better to post them here or contact via email? 

Hi Scott,

If you start a new thread, it would give others a chance to add their opinions also. I will make sure to follow the thread once you post.

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

Hey Mark - I did a search and realize there are other "idea" threads already, so maybe I'll jump in on one of those, but for now to try and keep it on thread topic - I'd really like to see a Nickel Plate Road 3 dome tank car like this Milwaukee Road one. Either in black or in dark blue. 

Thanks for creating some nice, affordable rolling stock.  

mike g. posted:

Hey Guys lets think about all the  cool stuff Menards has already brought to the rails! Then thin about all the great buildings that have made for our layouts!

I see it this way, at the rate they are going, some day they are going to make something we all want. It may take longer for some of you to get what you want then it does for me to get my BREWERY or Play Trains Salt car. But hell they are doing things other manufactures are not! Bringing us new stuff ready to buy and ship when the say!

Sorry Mark, Bob, Play, oh and Paul 2, I had to vent!

Mike you have the right attitude.  Keep on pitching for that BREWERY.

It’s just another day at the salt mine!

The engineers at the Morton® salt mine are working hard to make sure the factory is running at full capacity as they don blaze orange safety vests and hard hats. After all, on-the-job safety is job one!

Much of the work goes on below ground in the mine and out of view. In our little world, the salt is mined underground and conveyed to the salt factory. It is processed and loaded on hopper cars to be shipped to highway departments (in northern climates), water softener dealers, potato chip manufacturers and so forth.

Morton Salt Factory (279-3847) Shop Now!

Prebuilt, prelit and ready to go! Talk about an awe-inspiring structure! The O Gauge Morton® Salt Factory will be a focal point of your train layout with its striking details. As you take a look around the structure, you will notice over 30 bright LED lights, which are thoughtfully positioned so you can view every aspect of this gorgeous building. And to truly commemorate the prosperous history of Morton® Salt, this building is also adorned with two animated and prelit Morton® Salt signs. Each one contains the company’s iconic “umbrella girl” logo and unforgettable slogan. Each sign includes multiple lighting patterns, including a steady-on design and a pouring effect. With the addition of a 4.5-volt adapter (sold separately, Menards SKU# 279-4061, 4062), this impressive building model will come to life with light.

Big building, small footprint!

Every salt plant should have some covered hoppers!

The Morton® Salt Covered Hopper will be a beautiful addition to your train collection. This O gauge hopper features realistic details, including a chassis with premium metal trucks and operating couplers. This hopper has a blue-colored body with detailed Morton® Salt logos, including the iconic “umbrella girl”. It even has a removable cover with opening hatches!

Single (279-3871) Shop Now!
6-Piece Dealer Pack (279-4009) Shop Now!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Last edited by Menards

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.