Skip to main content

mike g. posted:

See I told you guys momma would have a better plan for me! Instead of renting a machine or paying someone to do it, momma had me dig the footings for the new train room addition by hand! LOL Lucky me!20170401_16234720170401_162414

Ahhh....do it yourself turned down slab!!! Done a bunch of them in my younger days.  Not sure how cold WA is where you live but even in the Carolinas I always dug down about a foot more at the corners to act as a 'support'.  Just my way but never had one crack to this day. Good luck!! 

AMCDave posted:
mike g. posted:

See I told you guys momma would have a better plan for me! Instead of renting a machine or paying someone to do it, momma had me dig the footings for the new train room addition by hand! LOL Lucky me!20170401_16234720170401_162414

Ahhh....do it yourself turned down slab!!! Done a bunch of them in my younger days.  Not sure how cold WA is where you live but even in the Carolinas I always dug down about a foot more at the corners to act as a 'support'.  Just my way but never had one crack to this day. Good luck!! 

Thanks for the information Dave, I got a little carried away and its about a foot all the way around! The coldest it got this year was about 27 degrees, so I think that will work.

I got mine installed on my layout yesterday. I love this structure, only the LEDs are too bright for my taste.

Do any of you know how to "tone" down these lights? Is there a paint that I might cover these LEDs with that will make it look like a much older building?

Here is a photo of mine on my layout.

Morton Salt

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Morton Salt

Roger,

I have used regular plastic model paints to tone down some of the LED's. Have used green and blue, and either works fine. Also, to keep the flashing red LED's from shining on the ceiling (when the room lights are off for the 'night' scene) I painted the top of these LED's flat black, resembling a black dome that extends about 1/3 of the way down the LED, and it works great.

Nice job!

Alex

Last edited by Ingeniero No1

That's my sister on the box...in the '50s. She was a model when we grew up in Chicago. I still remember the proof photo from that job with her heel of one foot and toe of the other each on a brick and a big roll of cardboard under her arm. The artists would then draw a picture from the photo and color in detail, etc. I like it that they used that particular vintage of the girl on the box. 

i bought her the Morton Salt Miller sign on their battery operated on base for her 79th Birthday.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.