Skip to main content

Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:
Originally Posted by John D.:

No incremental numbering on this one?

John, I believe the number here is a decal, and they're unique for each car.

For the NYC, that's called out on the site. For these Susie-Q's, it does not say that unique numbers are used.  Every other Menard's box car has it clearly called out on the product page.

John is correct. Today's (not so secret) release does not have individual numbers.

I don't feel it is necessary to go into detail regarding our production methods however; I will say that the processes involved with printing sequential numbers are limited as to the colors we can use. That being the case, it was an artistic decision to leave off the numbering for this boxcar. First and foremost, we wanted to produce a beautiful car and we feel that numbering may have detracted from the overall design.

To answer questions that may pop up, 1. Yes, we plan to keep doing sequential numbers and 2. Yes, we are looking into other options if this situation were to arise in the future.

This is a great looking car and I'm certain everyone will enjoy it!

Thank you,

Mark the Menards Train Guy

John D. with the sharp eyes wins this one.   I have to learn to read the ads more carefully.

I guess the yellow caused a problem in production?

You can add the letters using the Vinyl Lettering DIY site fairly cheaply.  As long as you're willing to do a little work in "weeding" the vinyl lettering, it's very cheap.  I did a "sample" with .3" high letters that looked about the right size.  Here's a couple of pictures.

vinyl colors

vinyl sample

Attachments

Images (2)
  • vinyl colors
  • vinyl sample
Originally Posted by Menards:

John is correct. 

Sorry...just need to make sure this remains documented.  It happens so rarely.

Thanks, Mark for the clarification.  I think it is a wise decision that if you cannot do sequential numbering, do none and let the end user fill it in.  It isn't that hard...so I'm told (I've been meaning to give it a try).

Keep the awesome releases coming!  I might pass on Susie, but my NYC and Reading box cars are currently Out for Delivery!

Our email has deployed!

Introducing the Susquehanna Boxcar! This O gauge boxcar will be a wonderful new addition to your train collection! The boxcar itself is green in color and features yellow lettering from the Susquehanna line. It also shows off a beautifully detailed rendition of the “Ship with Susie-Q” logo. The chassis of this boxcar is built with premium metal trucks and operating couplers. SKU# 279-2634

Click here to see more

279-2634 A

279-2634 B

In case you missed it, this week’s email is attached below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,

Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 279-2634 A
  • 279-2634 B
Files (1)
gunrunnerjohn posted:

I compared the 40 foot Menards boxcar to my new Lionel Vision Line 40 foot reefers.  The cars are so close to scale that only someone with a tape measure and a good eye is going to tell the difference.  The principal dimension difference is slightly less than 1/8" in width.  The height and length are virtually identical.  Of course, next someone is going to tell me the Vision Line reefers aren't really scale...

Menards Car Size Comparison N1

Menards Car Size Comparison N2

Menards Car Size Comparison N3

Well, even my old eyes can see the difference in size.  But for me that is alright since I model the transition era when boxcars came in various sizes (pictures off the web).

ATSF_5000_Madam_Queen[1]th38G39A4PthXV7SWA03

Attachments

Images (3)
  • ATSF_5000_Madam_Queen[1]
  • th38G39A4P
  • thXV7SWA03
Last edited by CAPPilot

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.