Skip to main content

All of those high horsepower monoplanes had all sorts of torque problems and could easily do ground loops. Most had terrible glide slopes and required horsepower to keep them in the air. They definitely aren't for the faint hearted. I think I just like to have one to work on and look at. I have no desire to pilot anything. Even their RC scale brethren have the same lousy flight characteristics with high wing loadings. It's like the difference between the B-17 with its big fat wings and the B-24 with its more advanced shorter chord wings. The 17 was much easier to keep in the air when damaged, unlike the 24. Another example: the A-10 Warthog. Slow and low with everything redundant and lots of lift. Hey... isn't this a model railroading forum?

lehighline posted:

P51, Excellent photo! A couple of other things to point out in addition to the differing insignia: These are 2 different models of the Corsair. The 799 (near) is likely an F4U-1D, or FG-1D. The 3 bladed prop and Malcom hood canopy are tell-tales. The 210 (rear) is a later model F4U-4 with a 2100hp engine. (Water/methanol injection could push this number considerably higher.) The increased hp required the 4 bladed prop. The 3 bladed versions seem to be the more common survivors these days. 

The picture below was taken several years ago at Reading WWII Weekend. Both are the -1D variant.

Chris

LVHRF4U-1D Flight1

Not to be a jerk but just for clarification, #799 in the photo you are referencing (not this photo) is a F4U-1. It originally had a "Birdcage" canopy on it. During World War II it was modified into a -1A, and now wears a -1D canopy. This was done just for modern pilot convenience.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.