Skip to main content

Correct me if I'm wrong , but,  I don't see any Lionel Standard or MTH Premier offerings of 100Ton 3-bay hoppers?  That's all I would see lined up feeding a local power gen plant until it got shut down a couple years ago.  They were CSX and from numbers I looked up some might have previously been been C&O painted & relettered.

What would be the reason I'd only see 3-bay 100T's (a 4 bay would be sprinkled in maybe 1 out 50)? Related to power gen plant's unloading capability?

Why no offerings from MTH or Lionel (Premier/Standard)?  I'd like to get some... Any other options?

Not my video, but, these are the ones I'm referring to. Note, they're 48' cars.. unlike the 70T 3-Bay which are shorter. You'll also see the occasional 4-bay (same 48' length)mixed in as they go by. This video reminded me of what I always saw feeding my local power plant. CSX with some old conrail mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kEHdZvPY8

Last edited by denwing
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Lionel Standard O three-bay, open-top hoppers are 100-ton open hoppers.

LIONEL Peabody open-top hopper

The plastic version was produced first in 1992 and has been made occasionally over the past 20 years. The trucks are unfortunately the journal bearing type, which is wrong for this hopper since the real hoppers were built long after 1960.

LIONEL ATSF open hopper

The die-cast version is a more recent release. The die-cast three-bay, open-top hoppers are heavy and require a great amount of motors to pull a long train.

Andrew

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.