Skip to main content

Custom designed 16-axle heavy duty O scale flat car.

This is a heavy duty 16-axle flatcar based on a prototype car manufactured by National Steel Car Company.  It uses 8 pair of MTH roller bearing trucks with an articulated bolster which allows additional lateral movement of the trucks.

The prototype NSC car has 12 axles as shown in the attachment.

The O scale car has a scale wheelbase of 86-1/2 feet and an overall length of 92-1/2 feet. The truck bolsters on the model are specially designed to allow operation on small radius track. The "bed" is 66 feet in length. The "pivot" points for the car bed are located so that the actual "overhang" on curves is minimized. The car pivot points are actually 11 inches apart. This is about the equivalent of a 50 foot boxcar. This car will actually "snake' through a series of curves and turnouts since each truck bolster pivots independently.

Model photos shown.

A custom built 52 foot "steam boiler" load will be hauled on this car.

This model will be added to my fleet of heavy duty flatcars, depressed center cars and Schnabel cars.

The NSC prototype as shown is listed as an 89 foot car.

NATIONAL CAR CO CAHD-NSC-SPECHD_06

mth crane - 16 axle flatcar 006

mth crane - 16 axle flatcar 003

Attachments

Images (3)
  • NATIONAL CAR CO CAHD-NSC-SPECHD_06
  • mth crane - 16 axle flatcar 006
  • mth crane - 16 axle flatcar 003
Last edited by pro hobby
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Though I don't have any pics, about 10, or so, years ago, I saw a 550MW generator rotor railed into the power plant where I was employed. They used a flat car with many axles. I would guess in the neighborhood of 16 axles.

Also, saw two separate 2,800 psi boiler drums brought in by rail within a month of each other. Huge flat car required for that task too.

And a few different transformers railed in with 8 axle drop bed flat cars.

Last edited by TM Terry

16-axle flatcar

Another advantage of a multiple-axle flatcar is that it becomes very stable and less likely to tip over. It also has a lower center of gravity which also adds to stability. Sometimes railroads use these longer flatcars to distribute the load over more axles to allow travel over light duty bridges, "light" rail or areas having poorly maintained roadbed.

A custom built 52 foot "steam boiler" load will be hauled on this car. 

Last edited by pro hobby
Originally Posted by pro hobby:
Originally Posted by Lee Willis:

That is quite nice.  Not sure what I would carry on it but I have a feeling it would be fairly interesting to watch.

Here is a typical heavy load for this type of flat car.

military tank on flatcar

What heavy load???  I see two tanks on a normal 4 axle flat car. Just because you like more axles doesn't mean the railroads need them.

Originally Posted by Big_Boy_4005:
Originally Posted by pro hobby:
Originally Posted by Lee Willis:

That is quite nice.  Not sure what I would carry on it but I have a feeling it would be fairly interesting to watch.

Here is a typical heavy load for this type of flat car.

military tank on flatcar

What heavy load???  I see two tanks on a normal 4 axle flat car. Just because you like more axles doesn't mean the railroads need them.

Its hard to tell with the shadows, but those flat cars have six wheel trucks.  Each of those M-1 Abrams tanks are at least 70 tons, so there's no way a four axle flat car could carry that load.

Here is a better photo showing the tanks on flat cars.

Stuart

How are you creating the deck? Is it an existing flat car or? The pivot end decks? Again is it from an existing flat car or are you sourcing the sections and combining them? I'm looking to replicate the Boeing 737 flat car setup....yes I know it's huge and finding the fuselage is a task unto itself. I will need at least one 89' flat car and one 69' although I'm considering a few variants of heavy duty flat cars for other modeling purposes. I'm just curious about making it from scratch as well as using existing flat cars that I can modify. Thoughts? 

Lee Willis posted:

Hello Mr. Willis

long time no see, how are you ?  Can this be done in Prewer in home made casting for the flat car body ?  I wish to make one of those and add four railking 6 wheel truck s to it.   It will be a heavy all metal flat car.

"I am sure that nothing now, nothing in the future, no powers, nothing above us or nothing below us - nothing in the whole created world - will ever be able to separate us from the love of God has shown to us in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 8:39 ERV (Easy to Read Version)

Tiffany

Last edited by Tiffany
Tiffany posted:
Lee Willis posted:

Hello Mr. Willis

long time no see, how are you ?

Apparently you didn't notice that the post from Mr. Willis was from July 2014! He no longer participates on the ORG Forum, either.

Tiffany

Last edited by Hot Water
Hot Water posted:
Tiffany posted:
Lee Willis posted:

Hello Mr. Willis

long time no see, how are you ?

Apparently you didn't notice that the post from Mr. Willis was from July 2014! He no longer participates on the ORG Forum, either.

Tiffany

Hello Hot Water

Oh I didn't see that , I stand corrected Thanks

Tiffany

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.