Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lionel in 1947 came out with the SP type smoke pellet which I have used in the 2020 & 671 type bulb locos. The same precautions apply with regard to use & storage/moving - the material spills when hot & in liquid form, BUT it is non-toxic.

I have also used smoke fluid in these engines, placing a fiberglass wick/wadding from a 2025 type unit under the bulb to hold the fluid.

ADCX Rob posted:

Lionel in 1947 came out with the SP type smoke pellet which I have used in the 2020 & 671 type bulb locos. The same precautions apply with regard to use & storage/moving - the material spills when hot & in liquid form, BUT it is non-toxic.

I have also used smoke fluid in these engines, placing a fiberglass wick/wadding from a 2025 type unit under the bulb to hold the fluid.

OK, just tried it! 

GEDC2497

Whaddaya know!  It woiks!

Mitch

Attachments

Images (1)
  • GEDC2497
Videos (1)
GEDC2496

Actually, maybe?? I never considered how it happened!

I had an unusual, long, dimpled bulb with a screw base in an early Marx Commodore Vanderbilt. I've never heard of another with smoke, I sure wish I had kept the remainder of the garbage., It's unpainted housing turned to rust dust, but the bulb could have proven it's existence even cracked open right on the dimple.

Of course if the bulb is cooled a bit it should be fine, the pellets melt onto a oily fluid too

Thanks, all!   

Adriatic:  That locomotive has been smoking since 1946, and IT'S going strong! 

Jonny: YMMV, but I only add fluid with the power off, which should allow a bit of time for the bulb to cool.

Harry:  The Trainz re-release of the smoke pellets is for the second version, which works on the nichrome heating element.  This loco runs on the first version, which, as far as I know, has not been re-released. 

Mitch

Mitch- There is one listing on Ebay right now for a tin of 196 smoke pellets for only $150.00! For that price I would take my chances on the current smoke pellets working for your engine. IMO I think the current pellets will work just fine as they just need a heat source to work and it should not matter if it is a smoke bulb or heating wire.

N5CJonny posted:

Mitch- There is one listing on Ebay right now for a tin of 196 smoke pellets for only $150.00! For that price I would take my chances on the current smoke pellets working for your engine. IMO I think the current pellets will work just fine as they just need a heat source to work and it should not matter if it is a smoke bulb or heating wire.

$150?  More than I spent for the loco, that.  ;-) 

As I understand it, the main problem with using the smoke bulb is that it doesn't get as hot as the heating wires do; thus, the 196 pellets have a more volatile (and toxic) formula...and the SP pellets and smoke fluid, while they work, don't produce as much smoke. 

Mitch

There is very little chance of an original package of 196 smoke pellets being viable. They were packaged in plastic containers with a tight lid because they would break down due to moisture in the air.
The pellets were corrosive, and toxic. Hard to imagine that anybody would try to make reproductions or that anybody would try to use them.

Last I knew, book value on an empty, clean 196 pellet container was around $40. I have no idea what price they bring these days.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.