Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

ezmike posted:

So the answer is, they are scale for a 60" foot car the aluminum streamliner car they are model after would be an 80" cars so, no.

It's your railroad so if you like it, run it.

Just my $.02.

Mike

Most later aluminum passenger cars  in service were 72' ( MTH 18").    Nearing the end of class 1 passenger service 84' aluminum cars (Lionel 21") were produced.

Joe

They are definitely not scale but nice cars nonetheless if the finish is in good shape.

A couple of years back there was a useful thread about the size and finish of these (and some later) Lionel aluminum cars: https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/t...ssenger-car-question

I run a later (2003) 15" set behind Lionel's classic F3 A-B-A set. The cars do not look disproportionately small compared to the engines.

To paraphrase that great American, this is dealing with the nattering nabobs of nitpicking. Take out your calipers and measure that set as it speeds around your layout (minimum speed should be 75 or so; this isn't a freight).

The 1991 Lionel cars were their top of the line at the time, and if in good shape are beautiful cars. Running behind a proto1 ABA set or a Lionel set, they will look great. In fact, although I am clearly a minority viewpoint on this Forum, I strongly prefer the aluminum passenger cars even if they have less detail than the ABS or plastic ones. To me, that is how the streamliners should be.

Get them and enjoy them.

Gerry

gmorlitz posted:

To paraphrase that great American, this is dealing with the nattering nabobs of nitpicking. Take out your calipers and measure that set as it speeds around your layout (minimum speed should be 75 or so; this isn't a freight).

The 1991 Lionel cars were their top of the line at the time, and if in good shape are beautiful cars. Running behind a proto1 ABA set or a Lionel set, they will look great. In fact, although I am clearly a minority viewpoint on this Forum, I strongly prefer the aluminum passenger cars even if they have less detail than the ABS or plastic ones. To me, that is how the streamliners should be.

Get them and enjoy them.

Gerry

I'm with Gerry on this one, so I guess that puts me in the minority as well.

Mike

ezmike posted:
gmorlitz posted:

Get them and enjoy them.

Gerry

Mike

I agree. I like the traditional metal 60' cars. They look good with the PW F units, and make a fine looking train. But then, I run on 3 rail track that scales out to 5-foot gauge. I probably should be modeling the Trans Siberian Railroad. 

ezmike posted:
gmorlitz posted:
. . . although I am clearly a minority viewpoint on this Forum, I strongly prefer the aluminum passenger cars even if they have less detail than the ABS or plastic ones. To me, that is how the streamliners should be.

Get them and enjoy them.

Gerry

Mike

It's not such a small minority - or so I think as if it is a minority, I'm in it too.

The aluminum cars have it all over the ABS ones where they model cars made of or including stainless steel panels. To illustrate here's a direct comparison of Lionel's Texas Special 21" observation cars, the top one being the last aluminum version they produced and the bottom the newest ABS version:

TX_Specials

I also don't think that the aluminum cars had less detail overall than the plastic ones do but I'm sure we won't see any new aluminum cars of this kind from Lionel. That's a pity but I'm convinced they can't be manufactured to a standard/at a price most buyers would accept.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • TX_Specials

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.