Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

George that is what I thought, but this is PS3 and i'm not sure if they are connected together. I guess maybe a test with a continuity tester would work. I know PS3 looks different then PS2 when you take the trucks apart. With PS3 I have been having an issue with the engine shutting down on Ross switches. I was loosing ground contact on one side not center rail contact.  

Clem 

Last edited by clem k
Originally Posted by clem k:

George that is what I thought, but this is PS3 and i'm not sure if they are connected together. I guess maybe a test with a continuity tester would work. I know PS3 looks different then PS2 when you take the trucks apart. With PS3 I have been having an issue with the engine shutting down on Ross switches. I was loosing ground contact on one side not center rail contact.  

Clem 

I've had that happen on our #8 curved turnout at low speeds with my scale-wheeled Proto 2/3 Geeps. It's a loss of ground on the closure rail and/or loss of center rail power due to roller gaps. The closure rails aren't electrically connected to the points and the frog is insulated, so if there's an insulated running rail in place your ground can go away. The work-around for that is to set up the larger Ross turnouts (#6 and above) with power routing by using the Tortoise relay contacts to put the ground on the closure rail in use and putting the hot on the unused closure rail -- i.e., hot on the diverging closure rail when the turnout is in the non-diverging position. We had that on the #8 curved turnout, but had to replace the machine and haven't re-connected it. That will solve the problem.

Matt I can do that, I use tortoise machines. My PS2 2/3 rail don't have a problem. Only the PS3. Know you now why I asked my original question. Can I use a non insulated wheels set on PS3 2/3 rail diesel in three rail mode? I'm worried about messing up the electronics inside. I guess I could install them and hope the 180 bricks react fast enough.

Clem

Originally Posted by willygee:
Originally Posted by Hudson J1e:

Cool video Willygee. Are all your locomotives MTH? In the 5 locomotive consist are all five of them powered?

Almost all mth but some atlas with DCS ps3 conversions.MU 5... 3 powered 2 unpowered pulling 40 cars 

Willygee, how did you do the MTH PS3 conversions? And was the conversion difficult into an Atlas locomotive?

The MTH Premier engines are oem ps2 and ps3.you can change the wheel sets for either 3 rail or 2 rail . I used the atlas shell , chassis with mth trucks and mth ps3 electronics..it was preplanned and quite involved but in the end has turned into my favorite switcher.(guilford GP 35 hi nose)Lights,smoke,sounds and remote rear coupler all work flawlessly.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.