Skip to main content

Hi folks,

Maybe you can help me solve this issue and also I have Barry's book, but either my poor eyesight or fatigue is interfering with my comprehension.

Per the title, I have two totally separate loops, and want to be able to control MTH Trains on both of them with one TIU, one brick, and one remote.

Unfortunately, I can only get power to each loop by using two power bricks and two TIU's.

I have my MTH bricks going into Fixed Channel one on each.

Also, seems the remote will only start engines on the first loop with TIU #1.

No engines will react on loop#2 with TIU #2, I even switched TIUs.

Any ideas?

Last edited by chipset
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

chipset, how do you power the TIU itself?  If you don't use a power supply feeding through the AUX port, the TIU derives power for its internal operation through the FIXED 1 port.  Sf you don't apply power to FIXED 1, nothing works.

One TIU and one remote should do it.  Whether one brick can do it, depends on what brick you have and what you're running.

Set Variable #1 to Fixed:

Menu/System/DCS Set up/TIU1/Variable 1/soft key FXD(S5)

Set Variable #2 to Fixed: 

Menu/System/DCS Set up/TIU1/Variable 2/soft key FXD(S5)

Should set both variable outputs to fixed.

To power the TIU via the AUX plug-in port, previous thread information suggested the following Radio Shack item:

Enercell 18/24vac 1 amp  ac power adapter.   # on the box is 273-331.  And the plug is adaptaplug tip "M" #273-344  also made by Enercell.  Use this Wallwart adaptor in the 18 volt selection. 

Super TIU mode.

Menu/System/TIU Set up/Super TIU/TIU1/soft key SPR (S2) 

Last edited by Mike CT
Originally Posted by RJR:

You don't need a brick to power the AUX port.  A cheap wall wart will do fine.  Anything 12-18 volts, AC or DC.

With this external power, the FIXED circuits are preferable.  I would not use 2 TIUs for 2 loops; not necessary, and requires Super TIU mode..

Super TIU mode as in you have to connect both TIUs with that cable?

I prefer those bricks because that have that little breaker/fuse.

It sounds like you need to put the TIUs into Super TIU mode. Otherwise, engines added on one loop will mot operate at all on the other loop.

Super TIU mode as in you have to connect both TIUs with that cable?

There's no special cabling required.

Since you have my book, look at Part V - Advanced Features and Functions, 8. Super TIU Mode for a detailed discussion of Super TIU mode.

This and a whole lot more is all in MTH’s “The DCS O Gauge Companion 2nd Edition", available for purchase as an eBook or a printed book at MTH's web store!

Last edited by Barry Broskowitz

To attain Super TIU mode, you don't connect the TIUs at all.  On the remote, under TIU setup, you can turn on Super mode.  I really suggest using one TIU, feeding it through AUX.

I have 6 "loops", 4 powered by one TIU and 2 by a second.  Any loco, DCS or conventional, can go anywhere, anytime, controlled by a single remote. 

When I select Super TIU mode it allows me to add TIU 1.

But...When I try to add TIU 2, it doesnt do anything and eventually I get an out of RF range.

This is with two TIU's on two totally and physically separated loops each.

Also, with two MTH Z-1000 bricks, one for each TIU, fed into Fixed Input 1, and Output to track on Fixed Output 1.

If I disconnect one TIU, I can allow the TIU to control any train on the loop its connected to.

But when both are connected, its one or the other and Super TIU mode only gives a confirmation like I said earlier on one but not both TIUs

Last edited by chipset

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.