Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Will Ebbert posted:

This is probably a really dumb question, but can I run 2 rail cars on my layout with three rail Atlas track? I have O72 minimum curves with most larger and #7.5 turnouts.

Yes, no problem. However, you will have to modify all your turnouts by adding styrene shims to the tops of each and every one of the guard rails. The guard rails need to be the same height as the running rails for 2-Rail scale wheels to work properly. I have done just that to our complete layout, and have many 2-Rail Scale wheel pieces of rolling stock.

GG1 4877 posted:

My experience has been that two rail cars will even work on unmodified Atlas switches if you can live with them bouncing across the frogs.  I haven't had a derailment yet. 

True for trailing point turnouts, but facing point turnouts can be more problematic, depending on the brand of 2-Rail Scale trucks. I tend to prefer the Weaver 2-Rail freight trucks as a first choice, with the MTH 2-Rail freight trucks second. Both of those brands tend to have slightly wider treads, and thus work better thru the Atlas turnouts, in either direction, once the guard rails are raised.

Will Ebbert posted:

This is probably a really dumb question, but can I run 2 rail cars on my layout with three rail Atlas track? I have O72 minimum curves with most larger and #7.5 turnouts.

Curve-replacement and larger (above #5) hi-rail turnouts may present problems with scale wheels. Curve-replacements turnouts have a curvature extending through the gap in the frog and the wheels may pick the frog; the larger turnouts have a larger frog gap and the wheel my pick the frog while dipped in the gap. The MTH #6 is a bit different because the frog is ramped to catch the wheel, but may still pick from time to time. That said, we have a couple of O-72 turnouts in the through yard at the club (Ross) and at slow speeds, scale-wheeled equipment seems to go through without incident when pulled. My scale-wheeled locomotives (4-axle and my two steam locos) also get through at low speed.

For the #8 curved turnout on the mainline, we put a moving point within the frog gap.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.