Skip to main content

I have never owned a 2-rail locomotive until recently.  I know nothing about these.  I have an MTH 20-2143-2 Susquehanna FP-45 and my question is, how do I test this, my set up is a 3-rail with ZW-275 transformer.  When I lay this upside down, the geared wheels turn freely with no effort as though they are not attached to the motors??  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Nick

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They are basically the same mechanically as the 3-rail, just different electrical pickups and wiring.   

2 Rail is generally set up to run on DC rather than AC.   I assume your ZW is an AC transformer.    Get a bridge rectifier and hook the leads from the transformer to the A and C pins and run wires from the + and - pins to opposite sides of the wheelsets.   

2 rail pickups up from opposite sides of the locomotive and with DC direct, does not require any complicated e-unit type device for reversing.   Simply reverse the polarity on the tracks/wheels and the direction is reversed.   My guess is this loco has/had DC motors.   nearly everything does anymore.

It is strange that it would have stripped gears.   Usually these MTH locos have the gears on the wheels on one side of the truck.    You should be able to see if the axle gear is stripped.   Also is it turning?   

If it has the drop plate on the bottom of the truck, you could take that off and see if the worm is loose on the shaft.

It might be better to post this in the 2 rail forum.  I have two 2 rail locks that do not spin as freely as you describe.  A bridge rectifier is the simplest way to apply power.  There was a one page piece in CTT years age that described a project that created a control box that permitted the user to easily switch between DC and AC power.  I use that on my test bench with a LW transformer for power. It could be something as the gears being out of alignment.  Good luck.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.