Skip to main content

I'm looking for single-motor/horizontal drive O scale 2 rail branch line and switching locomotives in RS-3, Alco S, VO-1000 configurations.

Plastic, cast or brass; road name and cosmetics irrelevant as long as the mechanism is excellent slow speed performance for prototypical-based layout switching and decrepit branch line operations.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The most common single motor smooth running locos are the Weaver RS3/GP38-2 type and the Atlas O SW8-9 switchers. They both run very well at low speeds. The Atlas is a bit sturdier but the Weaver is easy to get parts for and simple to repair. Since it's on you list it might be the first one to consider. Other harder to find or more expensive brass  locos use the Weaver drive so you might find an Alco or a Baldwin if you want to spend more ......DaveB

"The Carworks" imported a line of brass Alco and Baldwin switchers and some FM locos all using the weaver drive same as the RS-3.    These show up at shows and from dealers on line fairly often.    Norm's O scale is a good reliable source and "Allegheny Scale Models"

The old All Nation/general models NW2 is a single motor drive and super sturdy.   They run for ever and also show up at shows used pretty often

Most brass is single motor drive, which I guess you know is often much smoother than 2 motor.    Lots of switchers and small road engines have been importef over the years.    NJCB did the Alco S series switchers also, all 4 models and also did RS-1 and RS-3 models.    These all used an All Nation drive.

OMI had done different ones too but I am not sure which and Precision Scale I think ahs recently done a couple of EMD switchers.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.