Skip to main content

"HONGZ" stands for HO scale, N scale, G scale, and Z scale.

Post your non-O scale stuff here!

I just built the benchwork for a 2'x8' ho scale switching layout. I just joined a club (no o scale clubs near me) and I figured this would allow me to try out ho scale since I'm in indecisive if I am willing to move more of my focus to ho over o due to cost, space, and variety. Its freelanced and will generalize it in a Pennsylvania/New England setting around the transition era. My focus was going to be on coal but figured it might be too small to fit a coal mine or powerhouse in with anything else. The green buildings are a station on the main and freight depot across the station. Purple is a PRR interlocking tower. Orange is a feed mill that I plan to make a farm supply warehouse and blue will be a creamery. I plan to have some sort of small staging yards on each side that I can take down when not in use. Also unsure if I should remove the freight depot in place of a team track for more variety in rolling stock. I would like to know what you guys think of the layout and of theres anything that would be beneficial to change on it.HO Scale 2'x8' switching layout

Attachments

Images (1)
  • HO Scale 2'x8' switching layout
Last edited by bmccarron
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

looks like a good start.  I have never had a switching layout but have considered it.  Good idea to start with HO since MTH, Broadway Limited and others have full featured HO engines with smoke and sound.  Also there are a considerable number of European offerings also.  Switching can keep you busy as opposed to just going around in circles but both would be better

If you start with O it may be harder to move down because of the size however the cost can be a limiting factor with "0"

Last edited by daylight

Very nice plan, and glad to see you are dipping your feet into HO.  You are picking a nice way to start. 

I have a couple of recommendations, which center more on making sure you have a plan to take what you make and "grow" it.

• Build you module to "Free-Mo" standards, that way, if you desire, you can showcase your work at Free-Mo setups.  Here is the link to the standards, very helpful site for Free-Mo all around.  http://www.free-mo.org/standard.
  • Over at "Model Railroad Hobbyist", they are discussing a concept called TOMA (The One Module Approach).  A lot of people that have been in this hobby for a while don't see much there, but what I see is a very nice methodology to plan and dream beyond what you do today.  Their Vermont Railway TOMA module setup is interesting, and is great food for thought.  You are already going down this path with moveable staging at both ends.  Here is a link to the thread, and there are some nice interesting videos that you can watch for free.   Here are some links:   http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/27542     http://model-railroad-hobbyist...t/publishers-musings   

By the way, if you have not already discovered "Model Railroad Hobbyist", it is a FREE on-line magazine.  Lots of great content in there, all ad supported.  Can't beat the cost.  

Regards,

Jerry

DAYLIGHT

Thanks. I have a few locos ranging from MTH, Walthers, and BLI in ho. I mostly have O scale and have a good amount but I have been thinning some unused items and putting the money aside for future ho or o stuff. I personally like dcc and like having a standard to control any manufacturers items from one system. 2 Rail o scale is nice but I would still have to convert trucks and wheels and it still comes with a hefty price, takes up the same if not more real estate than 3 rail, and theres less variety than ho from rolling stock to buildings. If I stick with O, I will still keep this as it can be stored away and can use ho stuff at the club. 

GNNPNUT

Since I planned to build it for personal use, I never considered building it to a standard. Plus I haven't been a part of taking stuff to shows and displaying them, usually just a spectator but will probably look into that for the future. I would like to incorporate this piece into a future layout if I decide to go the ho route so I am trying to keep it simple but make something that would fit nicely. Model Railroad Hobbyist is a great site and has a lot of info.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.