Skip to main content

Hey LSHARK21,

I have a few comments, some technique, some build.

Narrowing the entrance throat down to 40" will let you center some straights and use Atlas double track trusses for a lift-out, up or down, whichever your thinking of using. That's plenty of room. I don't see how you support that large gap. perhaps you have that figured out.

I took a look at the left side and made some changes. There were three areas where the track was too close. I liked the r-loop inclusion, but you need the other half to change direction again. The turn of the r-loop was down to an O31 radius on the piece of flex.

Techniques on the track laying:

I try to use sectional track with the standard radius/straights where possible and use cut straights. When you are finished the plan, it can then all be converted to flex track to get a good inventory needs estimate. You copy the specs of curves or lengths of straights into the flex-tool and create the pieces. Sometimes 60 degrees of curve can be used to replace 2 sectional 30 degree curve.

if you watch the bend video on the Gargraves site, you can see that they build a templates on a sheet of plywood. You can buy a few pieces of sectional to create the radius of the curves needed at the inside tie, then cut and assemble the templates. Then you can create the curves needed and cut when assembling.

Nothing wrong with creating custom radius, following centerlines on the table and such. I am offering my view on this for your consideration.

The left yard/industrial area still needs some fitting refinement.

On the right, I left a turnout for the other r-loop connection. If you use half a curve or whatever needed to change the angle coming away from the entrance, I think you can smooth it all out and still fit that trolley line in there.

Don't hesitate to place some roads and building placeholder rectangles to assist in spacing the tracks. The roads are installed like flex track.

Use the create a parallel start point tool to space straights and then find the curves to join.

Look at the 3D of yours and the file I have attached.

What do you think?

Attachments

Last edited by Moonman

Carl,

Thank you for the input.  I like the adjustments you made.  

I was still kicking around ideas for the liftout at the entrance.  I have closed it up some.

You tips on laying track are helpful.  I am trying to use sectional as much as possible.  Flex will be used where I cannot close the gap with sectional as I prefer to not be bending a ton of track.  

I agree that the yard area needs more work.  This is the basic idea of what I am looking at, but it doesn't seem quite right.  I will keep playing with it until I find a design that I like and is operationally not a headache.

As for the second r loop, I completed it, but don't love it.  I have no problems with using a crossover like the 90 I put in, but it doesn't seem right.

Buildings are roads will be coming as soon as I get a track plan I am more comfortable with.  

Attachments

I like the idea of the whimsical run of the yellow line near the aisle, but it needs to smoothed out a bit to keep a minimum of O63. The flex track that you curved for fit creates an O32 curve. See the file.

If you have to crossover with the trolley line, train detection for collision avoidance is too complicated to wire. The trolley will stop when a train is the yellow line. Maybe a different cross angle would be more pleasing.

Attachments

lshark21 posted:

I addressed the tightness on the yellow line.

I am thinking I could possibly use an old school block and relay control system for the trolley crossing.  I just have to research whether or not this is possible when dealing with command control.  

That's what I meant to say it's NOT complicated to do the control. Azatrax makes a board with IR sensors or the relay system.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.