Skip to main content

Hello everyone, Before I start I know there will be people who call me slow, but that's ok so does my wife. With that being said, I have a 48" wide table from an older track set up and was wondering if I can run my AC4400CW on the same track with out any un seen problems. I know it says I should run it on a 31" Radius, I just done know where I can get the room for a bigger table in my small corner.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MTH specifies 36" radius for the 2-RAIL version of their AC4400CW.  Therefore, your table is not nearly wide enough for a loop that this loco can run on.  I think your table would need to be about 78" wide for what you are asking.

Originally Posted by mike g.:

Hello everyone, Before I start I know there will be people who call me slow, but that's ok so does my wife. With that being said, I have a 48" wide table from an older track set up and was wondering if I can run my AC4400CW on the same track with out any un seen problems. I know it says I should run it on a 31" Radius, I just done know where I can get the room for a bigger table in my small corner.

My personal experience with the scale-wheeled/fixed pilot MTH 6-axle diesels is that they'll negotiate 36" radius (O-72) curves provided there are no kinks and the track doesn't have twists in it. MTH recommends 42" radius (O-84). This is with cars or other engines coupled. Your table isn't wide enough for the scale-wheeled engines.

The 6-axle hi-rail diesels, due to the wider wheel tread and moving pilots, will negotiate 21" radius (O-42) curves but with their size won't look good doing it.

Mike,

I was also waiting for that BNSF AC4400CW from the 2014 catalog but moved on to other models when the MTH website started showing them as cancelled, earlier this year. I didn’t realize that they were made.

I run the BNSF ESS44AC from the most recent run on MTH Realtrax (with the center rail removed) on the floor in my basement. I was having trouble even with O-82 curves (41” radius) & I don’t see an AC4400CW running well on a smaller curve like 24” radius. The locomotive just by itself might negotiate the curve but the trouble comes when you couple a longer / lighter car behind it. In my first attempt, the locomotive tended to topple the car immediately behind it because of the O-82 curve. So now I have 1 or more 10” MTH Realtrax 10” straight sections on either side of the O-82 curves & cars haven’t toppled. Another issue I noticed was the higher friction limiting the number of cars I could pull on the sharper curves.

Maybe MTH specified 31” for just the locomotive by itself like some automobile manufacturers used to inflate the fuel economy values by testing in some perfect world conditons.

Even I had plans for a table top layout but I like modern 2-rail 6-axle locomotives & modern cars that are typically longer. So I had to settle for a loop on the floor.

These are just my opinion

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

One problem that is unique to O gauge (3-rail) is the "O-number" curve reference. That is a diameter reference. This leads to a lot of confusion as I see a lot of posts on the 3-rail side of the house refering to "O-72 radius", etc. which is incorrect. The actual radius is half that, hence my references in my above post with the "O-number" in parentheses. That said, you may be able to run the locomotive through tighter curves by replacing the scale wheels with hi-rail wheels (the center axle on each truck has flange-less wheels), but the body-mounted couplers will have issues.

One way around this, depending on what's in the room, would be to set up a 9" to 12" wide shelf around the walls of the room (obviously the corners will need to come out a bit) and set up a loop or point-to-point using 36" radius (O-72) curves. That would leave the bulk of the room available for other purposes.

....just trying to soak in everything I can from everyone. Its hard being new to things and some of us have slower learning curves!

Then, you are truly a wise man, smarter than I am.

I buy stuff (and try and make it work). Then I read up on it.

Please ask anything you need. There are many that run away from two rail. It's been around a long time. Nothing to terribly hard about it.

My favorite, is to get things running for play value. I just had a 9' straight track to start. The engines running well prompted me to get going on a loop and some yards.

Now, I just need to get back at it.

Mike,

I have an 8’ X 2.5’ static diorama where I display most of my 2-rail trains & 1:50 scale construction equipment. In the last 2 months I also set up a temporary Realtrax layout on the floor. It is an incomplete loop that measures 12 ft wide X 17 ft long (including the extremes of the roadbed) plus a 12 ft leg on one side. I am missing 1 O-82 curved section needed to complete the loop but I am also looking at getting a Used O-72 switch to use up all the straight sections that I have. Here is a link to another post on the 2-rail forum that has a video of a 2-rail intermodal train on this loop & it also has some pictures.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/t...ky-conversion-update

Here are some pictures of my static diorama.

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

Naveen, I would like to hear more about your layout. Im open to suggestions on which way to go with my layout. I think I will make room for a 41" radius and see how it goes.

IMG_4261 [1024x768)

IMG_4262 [1024x768)

IMG_4263 [1024x768)

IMG_4264 [1024x768)

IMG_4265 [1024x768)

IMG_4266 [1024x768)

Attachments

Images (6)
  • IMG_4261 (1024x768)
  • IMG_4262 (1024x768)
  • IMG_4263 (1024x768)
  • IMG_4264 (1024x768)
  • IMG_4265 (1024x768)
  • IMG_4266 (1024x768)

Naveen, I would like to hear more about your layout. Im open to suggestions on which way to go with my layout. I think I will make room for a 41" radius and see how it goes.

Mike,

That radius will work fine for these MTH diesels. I have a three-rail scale layout and convert all the three-rail stuff to fixed pilots and Kadees, but I also have a collection of two-rail equipment, including MTH engines, like yours. I've toyed with going all two-rail, but it's pretty late in the game for me to do that. But if I were starting today, no question I would be all two-rail. You have that chance if you want to do it.

Good luck,

RM

Originally Posted by Rich Montague:

Mike,

That radius will work fine for these MTH diesels. I have a three-rail scale layout and convert all the three-rail stuff to fixed pilots and Kadees, but I also have a collection of two-rail equipment, including MTH engines, like yours. I've toyed with going all two-rail, but it's pretty late in the game for me to do that. But if I were starting today, no question I would be all two-rail. You have that chance if you want to do it.

Good luck,

RM

Same here. Have extensive collection of 3-rail -- too expensive/difficult to replace. So I'm going hybrid with 2-rail and 3-rail equipment and a switchable layout whenever I get it built. That's why everything I'm designing has larger curve radii -- 42" (O-84) and above.

Mike,

I sold these cars many months ago. I got your message earlier but I was unable to reply sooner since I was in India, visiting family, for most of this month & had limited internet access.

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

Reply By naveenrajan: 2014 AC4400CW RadiusHi there, off topic, I seen you had some cars for sale. was wondering if you still had them?

Mike

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.