Skip to main content

I needed a project to do over Christmas break, so I found one.   I have an extra set of older, non-detailed, Lionel NYC heavyweights and they are in the process of being overhauled.  I started with the observation and have added interior and exterior detailing, including windows and a man smoking a lighted cigar on the observation deck.  Next step is adding LED lighting.  I will post more pics when I am finished with the observation car.  Merry Christmas everyone! 

IMG_4593

IMG_4594

IMG_4595

IMG_4596

IMG_4600

IMG_4601

IMG_4602

IMG_4603

IMG_4604

Attachments

Images (9)
  • IMG_4593
  • IMG_4594
  • IMG_4595
  • IMG_4596
  • IMG_4600
  • IMG_4601
  • IMG_4602
  • IMG_4603
  • IMG_4604
Last edited by lionel89
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by lionel89:

Thanks all.  The interior came from Lionel ($15.00).  I just ordered the interiors for a more modern Lionel NYC heavyweight set.  Because the new interiors serve as the backings for the frame screws, I had to remove the old backings from the older model vestibules. I used a plastic cutter/burner

I'm not familiar with that tool.  Do you have a link for it?

Also, clever of you to adapt a newer product to retrofit to an older model.

Do the seats/chairs and the people line-up well with the windows in your model as well as they do in the newer version?

Thanks for the reply to my earlier question.

Thanks everyone.  I will post more pics when the LED lighting arrives.  Mr. Carl, the burner I used is called a “hot knife”, which is used for cutting foam, plastics, etc (see pic below).  Also, the seats and people lineup well with the windows because Lionel’s heavyweight shells have not changed.  Just make sure you get the appropriate interior for each heavyweight (ex. buy an observation interior for an observation car, etc.)

$_57

Attachments

Images (1)
  • $_57

I'll definitely post pictures of the project if/when undertaken.  For example, LIONEL will sell the interiors used in their 18" cars.  I'd need to shorten them, but would the figures "line-up" with the windows with just one or two cuts?  If not, how many cuts will be necessary? 

What other manufacturers offer for sale their interiors in 15" cars?

I've added the standard dome interior that LIONEL uses now in a PW 2531 observation car with an offset dome ala the CZ obs car.  So when the time comes to add a dome to other cars with a custom cut offset opening, it can be done with an interior.

I'll be following your heavyweight project.  Thanks for sharing.  Frankly, such threads are my favorites, by far.

1/5/2015 Update: I received the LED light strips yesterday and have finished the observation.  One down, four to go (six if I decide to add lighting to the baggage car).  I have yet to decided on the baggage car.  I originally did not want the baggage car illuminated.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.  Tyler. 

IMG_4757

IMG_4758

IMG_4759

IMG_4760

IMG_4761

IMG_4762

IMG_4763

IMG_4764

IMG_4765

IMG_4766

IMG_4767

Attachments

Images (11)
  • IMG_4757
  • IMG_4758
  • IMG_4759
  • IMG_4760
  • IMG_4761
  • IMG_4762
  • IMG_4763
  • IMG_4764
  • IMG_4765
  • IMG_4766
  • IMG_4767
Last edited by lionel89

That is fine workmanship! Thanks for posting!

My memory is a bit fuzzy about lights in baggage cars. Lionel postwar streamliners didn't have lights. But a baggage crew needed lights to load and unload baggage after dark. I'm certain they couldn't rely on lights at stations and along platforms.

Maybe you could use fewer LED light strips so the baggage car would look different than the rest of the train. Install them on the ceiling above the side doors and at each end door.

Speaking for others, we would really like to see a video of this train running at nught. The man smoking a cigar on the observation deck would look great going away!

Originally Posted by lionel89:

1/5/2015 Update: I received the LED light strips yesterday and have finished the observation.  One down, four to go (six if I decide to add lighting to the baggage car).  I have yet to decided on the baggage car.  I originally did not want the baggage car illuminated.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.  Tyler. 

IMG_4763

IMG_4764

IMG_4766

That's really excellent work!  Would you happen to have the Lionel part numbers for the interiors!  I want to try my hand at something like that.

Thanks for posting this!

Jon

Wow, Tyler!  What a difference!  Exceptional job making an older car look so much better.  The lighting looks great.  Where did the light strips come from and what is the voltage.  Do the run on direct 18 volts from the track?

I especially like the man smoking the cigar on the rear platform.

Thanks for sharing,

Don

Originally Posted by Pingman:

I'll definitely post pictures of the project if/when undertaken.  For example, LIONEL will sell the interiors used in their 18" cars.  I'd need to shorten them, but would the figures "line-up" with the windows with just one or two cuts?  If not, how many cuts will be necessary? 

What other manufacturers offer for sale their interiors in 15" cars? 

Lionel made 15" aluminum cars with interiors (early 2000s era).  Don't know if they're on Lionel's part page or not.  Start there and see if you can find something.   

I have never been able to figure out what the best practice for the LED voltage. I looked at the picture and it looks like 12v. Did you step the power down? I have been using 24vac relays on another project so I would have thought 24v would be what is needed. I see bags of LED's on ebay and have been temped but I don't what to buy a bag of items not needed. Any LED advice would be greatly appreciated. 

At least one forum member offers a circuit to drive these. You are correct that most of these LED strips are made for 12V DC. I have made my own circuits, both constant voltage. The first puts out 9 volts and will drive any strip up to and including 21" long (longer even if required). I found 12 volts to be too bright. 9 volts is less bright but I still add a ~50 ohm resistor to lower the brightness even more. This is good if you run command.

The second circuit puts out 3 volts. This will work for both conventional and command but requires you short out two of the three LEDs in a group. Still fairly bright though. About the same intensity as the incandescent bulbs they replace. If it wasn't so tedious to short the LEDs out that would be my preferred circuit. The 9 volt circuit is no more complicated to make but requires no modification of the LED strips.

Google LM78L09 for 9 volts circuits and LM317L for a device to make a 3 volt regulator if you want to try and roll your own.

Pete

Last edited by Norton

First of all, thanks for all the compliments!  I definitely enjoy running these with the upgraded interiors and lighting. 

ReadingFan.  Yes, I will be sure to post a night video.  And, I like your idea about making the baggage car lighting different by using less LEDs.   

Looney Tunes and CentralFan1976, I used the following interiors:

6205663005 – INTERIOR / COACH / C&A

6205714005 – INTERIOR / COMBINE / NYC 20TH / VAN TWILLER

6205717005 – INTERIOR / OBSERVATION / NYC / CATSKILL VALLEY

6205720005 – INTERIOR / SLEEPER / NYC / POPLAR

Norton, the interiors came painted.  The hardest part about finding interiors is finding interiors that are the same color.  Lionel has made multiple interiors.  I think they have green, blue, light brown, dark brown, etc...

DGJONES and moe321, I am not an LED expert.  I purchased the light strips and the seller assured me that they were rated 12 – 18v.  They work great in conventional and command mode.  No problems as of yet.

I will be sure to post more pics and videos.  Thanks again.  Tyler.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.