Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just wonder how this turns out. This year I joined the ex TCA membership that has been leaving by the 100's. The organization appears to have settled into being a repository for pre and post war trains and seems to be of little value in promoting the hobby as it is today.  TCA doesn't seem to even acknowledge that trains have been made since 1969 and the dues just keep on rising. The place should be retitled the train collectors antiques society.

Lee, I understand your comment, however from what I can tell from the METCA website this should be a great event. There are a huge variety of trips / tours centered around Manhattan. The host site is in NJ with very easy access to The City. The cost to host in Manhattan borders on the absurd. (Guest Rooms / Convention rooms / Banquets / Union Requirements...

If you have never been to the area may I suggest the circle line tour around Manhattan Island with a stop at a deli afterwards. Stunning views from the water.

If I can get the time off I would also like to visit the NJT maintenance facilities. There seems to be something for everyone.

I still can't believe METCA has never hosted a national convention. These guys are sure making things right with the planning for 2015.

Makes this guy born in Brooklyn feel good.

Paul

Gee Dennis, you don't miss an opportunity to write something negative about the TCA.

I think most of us know how you feel by now.

I guess you missed their online magazine, which is heavy on Modern era articles.
And how many times have they raised the dues? You make it sound like an annual event.

Too bad you resigned from the TCA.

I am sure they would have welcomed your articles about trains made in the Modern era.

Originally Posted by Railrunnin:

Lee, I understand your comment,  . . . . . 

If you have never been to the area 

Makes this guy born in Brooklyn feel good.

Paul

Paul, I wasn't dissing the area, just discussing how we make so few trips we pick and choose pretty carefully anymore.  We lived in Manhattan onE. 81st for a while back long ago, then out in Pelham for a few years before moving down here to NC.  For us a New York City/Newark-area trip is visiting old friends and old haunts (only half of which are still there after this many years).  I am sure it will be a lot of fun but we will miss it this year.  I'm not sure we're even taking a trip back up north this next year.  

Hey Lee, I didn't realize you were a upper east sider ...

I certainly understand having to pick and choose trips. Between work and other limitations I haven't been to York in many years. I'm hoping Fall of 2015 we will fix that...

My post was a little off as I did not mean to imply you were dissing the great state of NJ. (I'm from exit 168) How can NJ be so bad if Lionel had their headquarters there, Frank Sinatra was born there, and METCA is hosting the 2015 convention.

To keep with the thread, I'm sure this will be one heck of a convention.

Paul

Originally Posted by Railrunnin:

Hey Lee, I didn't realize you were a upper east sider ...

I certainly understand having to pick and choose trips. Between work and other limitations I haven't been to York in many years. I'm hoping Fall of 2015 we will fix that...

My post was a little off as I did not mean to imply you were dissing the great state of NJ. (I'm from exit 168) How can NJ be so bad if Lionel had their headquarters there, Frank Sinatra was born there, and METCA is hosting the 2015 convention.

To keep with the thread, I'm sure this will be one heck of a convention.

Paul

Any state where Frank Sinatra was from is a great state as far as I am concerned.

It will be a good convention.  I enjoy ever TCA event I go to and would this, particulalry because I would see so many good folks there, but . . . we just have to ration our trips anymore.

Originally Posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I just wonder how this turns out. This year I joined the ex TCA membership that has been leaving by the 100's. The organization appears to have settled into being a repository for pre and post war trains and seems to be of little value in promoting the hobby as it is today.  TCA doesn't seem to even acknowledge that trains have been made since 1969 and the dues just keep on rising. The place should be retitled the train collectors antiques society.

YOU SEEM TO HAVE A PROBLEM LEAVING AN ORGANIZATION QUIETLY AND GRACEFULLY.  ENOUGH...PLEASE.   You hijack others' threads to constantly bash TCA. 

Kent,

It has been listed the past several issues of The Train Collectors Quarterly as well as Headquarters News.  E-blasts have also been sent to all members with a registered email address.  I suggest you contact the business office and First, get your email address registered, Second make sure they also have your correct mailing address to make sure you have not missed any issues.

The convention is in June 20-28 of 2015.  The January issue of Headquarters News will have all the details and forms.  You can also check out the convention web site at www.TCAconvention.org.  Good luck it is going to be a great convention.

Paul Edgar

Past National President

Mike,

All that you mention was considered.  Honestly, we had several hundred valid possible trips & tours.  We had to narrow that down to about 20.  I'll be the first to admit that a lot of great stuff ended up on the cutting room floor.  Those cuts would make a whole other great convention all by themselves.  That's how much awesome stuff there is to do in the area.

Yes, come early or stay late and you can easily do those activities on your own.  The walkway over the Hudson was just 1 cut away from being on the official itinerary.  It almost made it.

Kent, as Paul said, check out the www.TCAconvention.org website.

Stu

Originally Posted by LionelLLC:

Mike,

. . we had several hundred valid possible trips & tours.  We had to narrow that down to about 20.  

Having been there and done that on other conventions I know first hand.  It's impossible to put something in for everyone, and sometimes the best tours and venues don't work out for reasons you can't control.  I think anyone who goes will find plenty to enjoy, though, it is a pretty good program.

I don't think you can find a better region full of railroad activity. Just a stones throw away from the convention site is a major junction of two rail lines. And with multiple tourist lines, commuter lines and hobby shops within a reasonable distance there's no loss for 'off the grid' activities.

I just reserved the hotel room for the convention. Even though I live just about 25 minutes from the George Washington Bridge in Westchester County, NY I would not want to drive to the hotel for the convention trips, etc. each day. I plan to arrive at the hotel on Sunday the 21st. Wednesday should be a free day for my wife and I so If anyone from out of the area has a special place they would like to visit maybe we can do it together. I know the New York City Metro area as well as anyone who has ever lived here.

Ed and Mickey

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.