Skip to main content

traindavid posted:
Did they ask anyone if we wanted the GP series to have a more scale truck, or swinging pilots??? already there.

Actually more scale like trucks were proposed during the MPC era.  It got shot down.

I actually consider the Gilbert Blommmmmmmmberg truck a drawback.  I accept it for what it is, but in my eyes it has always  detracted from the look of the GP's.

It would be nice if Lionel improved the handrails a bit with this change...

Rusty

Actually, I'm not against the more scale trucks; if they're done right and not just the Baldwin trucks with different sideframes. The air tanks and fuel tanks will need to be longer to fill in the now-empty area under the frame. Better handrails would be nice, but I like the ruggedness of the ACG ones, they survive derailments and "small hands" mangling. BUT swinging pilots?? WHY?? Fixed pilots worked fine all through the ACG years, even with Pikemaster curve radius track (although that required removing the step boards). I'm still not certain I like the exposed gearing of the new Alco power trucks. I guess time will tell. Certainly is a good place to pick up tinsel if you run under the Christmas tree!

Where do you guys get this  "swinging pilot" stuff?  Remember Lionel's graphics aren't necessarily representative of the actual item.  And even if you base it on the illustration, the rear pilot looks like there's a gap which will suggest the "swing thing", but the front one looks solid.  It's hard to tell, but the other Geeps on the page look the same.  Same graphic, different colors.  Remember, they're just graphics, not a photo.  Making the pilots swing would mean they would have to spend money to modify their fairly new frame they ginned up for the latest Geeps.  They already blew their Flyer budget on the reefers. 

That said, I have been eyeing the UP one, but I'm still on the fence.  Do I really NEED another locomotive?  Probably not.

However, for about $210 you can get this from AM.  Granted, no FlyerChief, but simple AC.  DC for $15 less.  Lionel lists theirs for $250, so the pre-order will be less.  It's all up to the buyer to determine the better value:

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but speculation on what's coming is moot unless something is released, or a spokesman from Lionel can verify what's coming.   Frankly, there's nothing in this catalog that I'll be getting.

Jerry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip1

Jerry,

I'm the one who first theorized about the swinging pilots.  Given the mysterious ways Lionel works sometimes, I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, I know Lionel's catalog art can be questionable/inaccurate/deceptive. 

The Flyer GP frame is a one piece casting.  They have to change the frame anyway for the new fuel/air tanks and given some other things I spotted in the artwork, it was reasonable to deduce a swinging pilot.  A swinging pilot would eliminate the big honkin' gap in the pilot itself. 

If they decide to do more so-called Flyer "SD9's" the new fuel/air tank assembly would also have to be different. 

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  Won't be the first time.

The NKP GP is something I'm mildly interested in, but I'm waiting to see either them in person or a good, clear picture of a production model.  Maybe Lionel will wave one around in the next York video.

Rusty

IMHO, The CGI illustrations hint very strongly at swinging pilots; there is a gap shown, and the paint schemes on some locos change color right at that point. However, the illustrations also indicate a truck that is either foreshortened, or is too tall. Would be a shame to retool and not do it in scale proportions. But that's what they've done before! And, YES, I could be totally wrong (or even partially wrong) David Dewey

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.