Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rich, I have three.  They are all fantastic runners.  I take most people who love to complain on the forum with a grain of salt.  If someone has a legit complaint on a product, get an RA number and get it handled.  That is the correct way do get things done.  The forum has people who complain about an engine and they do not have the engine.   Others exist who throw their two cents in on every post and do not have a clue. I have my own opinion of them.  First hand knowledge is the best.  

If someone had an E-8 by Lionel derail, I would put money it is the track work they did.  Same tooling.  I take care of the high end Lionel engines for Charlie Ro.  He sells a few trains.  I searched my repair base and not one E-8 came to me.  That does not mean something small may have been taken care of by the other in house guys.

I am in Dedham.  Anytime you want to put an E-8 through the paces come by and I will hand you the remote.  I am sure you will walk away happy.   My layout is always open to most forum members.

Last edited by Marty Fitzhenry

Rich,

I have the CB&Q E9 AA units from 2014 (#6-39615).  They run great and the sound is good.  I would have preferred two powered units instead of one, but for my needs they are ok.  As to appearance and detailing they look a little long and narrow to me and I would have preferred  fixed pilots, but otherwise I think they are fine.  Others who are perhaps more discerning may see it otherwise.  I don't know if there will be any change in the tooling or other features for the locomotive you are considering.

Bob

Hi Marty! That's an offer I can't refuse.  And thanks for your expert opinion on the E8, that's very good news.  Looks like an order will be placed.  I get to Charlie's three or four times a year, always a pleasure trip.  If you're ever down this way I'm in Bridgewater. Be glad to show you around the layout.  Thanks again.    RICH

Rich64,

I have the PRR E8s on pre-order and they will be pulling 7 Lionel 18" Aluminum passenger cars and one K-line express boxcar that matches the passenger cars quite well. I am not worried about only having one powered E unit as my friend at my club (BDSME) has a Santa Fe F3 ABA set with only one powered A and it pulls 13 MTH passenger cars around our layout with no trouble and we do have 2-2.5% grades.

My friend Alex had one of the earlier Legacy PRR E8s (Tuscan one stripe) and it was nicely detailed.

By the way the Volume one pre-order deadline is almost here, you better put it in gear.

JohnB

JohnB - Thanks for your input.  I saw the Tuscan E8's on someone's layout a while ago and they looked great. Good luck with yours.         J DADDY - I hope they correct that error.  As for power I've got many Legacy locos and every one is  exceptionally strong.  Maybe the complaints are few and far between on pulling power.  RICH

Marty Fitzhenry posted:

I disagree on the pulling power.  I hooked my set up to an 8 car K-Line CNW Bi-Level set and the locomotive walked away with power to spare.  I would like 4 motors but it is what it is.  If they did not stand tall operating, they would be history.  I am a fanatic over engines running good on the layout.

Interesting Marty, My colleague purchase the first run of the E8/E9 Burlington and Santa Fe AA's. I passed when you could see it shimmer and shake pulling 7 cars of the CZ.  They look fantastic, but I passed on picking up a pair because of this. He then took the shell of one and made a dual powered A-A consist and they run and pull very nicely.

Were there improvements made on the sets you purchased on later Lionel releases?

J Daddy, the shake was the defective traction tires.  Lionel had the E and F units with fat poorly formed traction tires.  Some of them were so fat that the wheels had a problem turning inside the side frames.  We saw that and ordered hundreds of MTH traction tires.  The MTH tire was the hot set up for Lionel wheels.   Many hundreds of MTH traction tires are kept in stock to fix/replace defective tires.  I am basically an MTH guy but do have just under 100 Lionel locomotives.  Every locomotive I own has had the tires replaced with the much superior MTH tire.  The Lionel power truck is a different story.  It is designed and put together very well.  It is a very smooth running truck.  The Lionel E and F units are very powerful and have no trouble pulling anything put behind them.  I can state this first hand as I have the locomotives and run trains every day.  Tell your friend to cut the tires off and replace them with MTH tires.  Lionel tires today are much better.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.