Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you can wrap your head around something that doesn't sport the Lionel name, but would look fantastic and much more real at reasonable cost, check out MTH's 60 foot coaches. You can often find in-the-box MTH used 60 footers in great shape at about or even under a hundred bucks for 4 - baggage, coach, vista dome and observation in nice schemes, Pennsy even. They look better, have interiors you can fill w/ peeps if you want. Toy trains are all about pleasing yourself; no need to be a Lionel snob. (I love Lionel, but I love all my trains; not just Lionel...)

I have the Williams Silver and red GG1 and routinely I run it with K-Line Streamliners and Lionel 2400 style Santa Fe red stripe cars because they match the loco very well.

I call it the "Penn-Sa-Fe Limited".    But I also run it with Williams NYC Baby Madisons in the late 20th Century Limited color scheme.  "Penn-Central-Century"?  

rick king posted:

I kind of think the baby  madisons  would look good .  I always thought the aluminum cars were to big and made the traditional gg1 look small.  Here is a pic of Penn Central GG1 & a train of MP54'sGG1-4884-and-demotored-MP54s-Trenton,NJ_11_74a

So is the GG1 pulling the MP54s or are the MP54s pushing the GG1 ?   By the way, thanks for the picture.    And I agree, the 2500 series aluminum cars do make the GG1 look a bit undersized.  

Last edited by Former Member

Those Tuscan and gold cars always look extremely classy to me. I have a similar k-line set. Untill I saw those Broadway Limited cars, I hated the Tuscan GGs look and thought the red should have been used more for frieght and Brunswick and Green Madison's were the class act. (Yep there was two sets of vintage green Madison's (And  even more in Tuscan )

Some bellows would be a nice touch, didn't they have any? I wonder if any would fit those easily. Im missing one. I filled the doorway by dropping in a loose sheet of styrene as a door and keep it on the head end.

The congressionals are extremely sharp cars, but the color mismatch was always too much for my sense of OCD.  I preferred them behind steam really. Often the turbine. ...except for the Army Navy game, lol.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.