Skip to main content

I have a Legacy 6-34566 ALCO PA that started the 3 cab blink sequence, which a couple of resets did not  cure. I imagine that this is a bad or stuck fan motor. The manual says that if the problem persists after 3 resets the smoke unit will shut down and have to be returned to Lionel for service. I have also tried blowing air down the stack to free up the motor/impeller if that's the problem (as Mike Reagan suggested on another thread) but the smoke unit remains unresponsive.

I am thinking about replacing the fan motor. My question is whether that on its own, or perhaps changing the engine's ID, will clear the 3 reset limitation? I am guessing that this is some setting on the engine's main board rather than the smoke unit itself. I really don't want to return this engine to Lionel for service if I can avoid it.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had tried the compressed air trick with no results.  I ended up opening the engine and disconnected the fan motor wire and buzzed it a few times with a 9V battery.  It works fine now.   This is the second time I have had to do this.  I plan to pick up a new fan motor and replace it next time.

Bob

Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

There is really no three reset limitation.  When you power down, you get three more resets.  That can go on forever.

Replacing the fan motor is the next logical step.

GRJ is exactly right here on the 3 blinks and resets. He's also right on with the smoke fan motor which solved my problem.

My fan motor was working just fine, but I was getting the 3 blinks first time I put it on the tracks (it was a brand new engine). I had an MTH smoke fan motor that looked identical so I installed it. Problem solved for a few bucks with no return trip to Concord, N.C. Repair was way less than shipping would have been so I saved some money too. Only took a few minutes to do the replacement.

Thanks all for the advice on this problem.

I have spare smoke unit fan motors but they are all Lionel and date from before Lionel got in what is supposed to be a more reliable batch of these parts earlier this year. So I have taken this loco apart and given the motor a shot of 9V from a battery and some light oil on the base of the driveshaft and its bushing - I followed Eric Siegel's video tutorial on fixing noisy Lionel fan motors. It's a fiddly job but not that complicated.

This has restored normal operation and I'll see how long it lasts. I'm not optimistic but it will do until I can get either MTH motors or some new ones from Lionel.

I can confirm that before I did this the motor would either spin briefly on startup before the 3 blinks started or not spin at all followed by the blinks. Interestingly applying battery power to the motor also caused the marker lights to illuminate. (The motor wires are soldered to the top of the smoke unit and disconnecting them was not an option.)

Originally Posted by Jeff2035:

Hancock 52, I have the same issue with my Centipede, in addition to the noisy fans. I just noticed some time ago you described a fix for your noisy centipede fans.

Does the fix still work?

And, were you able to remove the fan assembly from the top of the locomotive or did you have to remove the shell? 

As GRJ has said, you have to take the body shell off to get at the roof fan assembly, which can only be take out from below.

My fix (adjusting the way that the fan motor connects to the rest of the assembly) worked to start with but after some run time and also transporting the engines around the noise started up again although not as bad as it was straight out of the box. I readjusted the motor connection and that got rid of the noise. Bear in mind that when you do this the assembly has to be tested top side up, namely the way it will fit back into the shell, because of the way that multiple gears fit into the sleeve that contains them.

My engines do not have a great deal  of run time and I am thinking that the gears in the assembly, which are plastic, not metal, and not helix cut may need time to wear in somewhat.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.