Skip to main content

I just purchased a #38 Lionel water tower.  Love the illusion of the water going up and down as it operates.  Are there any good suggestions from experienced users on maintenance, how long you can leave water in it, layout ideas for ease of operation and access, etc.  Ideas welcome!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If I can offer a couple of tips, first of all make sure you use distilled water, or even de-mineralized water, in your water tower.  Second, when you store it, make sure ALL of the water has been removed, and maybe even blow it out with some LOW pressure compressed air.  I had a rusting/leak problem with mine where the motor shaft passes through a rubber seal/bearing and into the impeller.  Looks like some (tap) water had remained in the unit for about a year, and when it was put into service again I had a leak.  I now have a new motor waiting to be installed.

CarGuyZM10 is correct...just remove the two roof nuts and the two rubber grommets, pull the tank up gently....you will not be able to pull the tank completely off because the water tubes are attached to the pumps, once the tubes are detached you will be able to get at the pump....if you are lucky, you may be able to get away with just a thorough cleaning of the pump motor.   Good luck.....I just use distilled water in mine....and knock on wood it has been trouble free for the past two years.

-Pete

Last edited by BFI66

I took the tank off and the pump and hoses were perfectly clean, however there was that wonderful burnt electronics smell that we all know and dread.  I guess the pump side of the circuit board has a problem.  Lionel lists the pump and circuit board as unavailable.  Does anyone know what voltage drives the motor?  I guess this water tower will work well with the Lionel crew talk, "Fill Er Up", sequence since there won't be any motor sounds from the water tower when the spout drops down.  There has to be something positive about this!

re: Lonnie and others:

Why does Lionel and others feel the need to make something that's simple, complex.  MY original Lionel water tank used a simple pushbutton to activate the pump and spout, no microprocessor, diodes, LEDs etc. , just simple wiring.

And while I am whining here, wonder why someone hasn't seen fit to open a Madison Hardware type Lionel, MTH store with bins of obsolete and reproduction parts.  I know, I know, $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and demand.

Getting off my soapbox.

I'm sorta surprised that it's the board, but boards fail often, so I shouldn't be. When my pump motor went, Lionel was having a 50% off parts sale, so I bought two. I put the one in a few months ago, tested once, dried, then listed it (with the other pump) for sale. I don't use it enough to justify it (I had to add water every time I went to use it, as it evaporated out). I still have it if anyone wants a fun accessory and uses their layout a lot.

About 3 years ago I used tap water in my #38 water tower and would empty it whenever I would stop running it for more than a couple of days. That didn't work and the pump stopped working.

I had my local postwar train repair guy fix it, which he did (I think he replaced the hose with an aquarium hose, did something to prevent leaks, and cleaned and lubricated it). He told me to run it a little bit regularly, which I have done. At about the same time I read the instructions on line and learned that distilled water should be used.

For the past 3 years, I have used distilled water, never emptied it but periodically add more distilled water (I keep it about two-thirds full), and whenever I run my trains, which is every day for at least a few minutes, I run my #38 water tower for at least a few seconds. It has run flawlessly for 3 years.

One more thing: although I have food dye to color the distilled water, I don't risk using the dye. Arnold

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.