Skip to main content

Hi all, 

As we get hit with a large snowstorm this evening in the Twin Cities area, I thought I would get around to fixing my 397 coal loader. This thing has been a bit of a pain in the butt ever since it arrived a few weeks ago. From what information I have gathered it seems the loader is suffering from a common problem: the coal is shifting to one side of the receiving bin and not going up the ramp towards the loader. I have disassembled it several times, syncing the cams, rebuilding the motor, cleaning loose coal out from under the belt, etc. I have also tried what the Lionel service manual said about moving the cam followers closer to the cams, but I couldn't really get them to budge either direction and all seemed well there in the first place. No matter what I seem to do the coal will always move towards the same side. I have tested it on a level surface, and I have also read the past forum post about the reissue 397 loader with the same issue, but I'm not sure I completely understand the fix that was discussed. Help with or without pictures would be greatly appreciated! 

Best wishes from the Frozen North!

Zach

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have spent many hours wrestling with this problem. Some people have success pushing a cam follower one way or the other. Push too hard and the tray can crack. Unfortunately it boils down to luck on which one you get. The holes drilled in the tray to secure the followers were not drilled with great precision. I have had some improvement by placing a shim under the tray on one side or another. My reissue 397 works better than my early postwar with the painted tray. I don't use the post war 397 because the coal helps flake the original paint off the tray. You could keep buying and selling 397's until you find one that moves the coal straight

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.