Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My Weaver M-64. It needs a de-whitewalling and some weathering. Runs well (TMCC, no cruise), 1-chuff sound, fixable. One day...

(I just noticed that my model and the prototype photo are both engine "1710".) 

BTW, to my knowledge, the DRGW referred to both their 4-8-2's and 4-8-4's as "Mountains", and did not use the term "Northern" for the 4-8-4's. These "nicknames" got tossed around a good bit. Some IC men referred to the 2-8-4's as "Big Mikes", and one road (I forget which) called both 2-10-0's and 2-10-2's "Decapods" (SP, maybe?).

DSCN0846

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN0846
Last edited by D500

daylight - 

Yes, but it's a very nice chuff...

Seriously, yes. As I recall, it uses a rod from one of the crossheads that hits a microswitch when the crosshead moves forward (or backward - I forget), so of the 4 piston cycles (2 per side), only 1 hits the switch.

A better approximation would be to get a magnetic reed switch and rare earth magnet (see Modern Toy Train Parts' site) and mount this on a tender truck, a common upgrade technique. The same wiring can be used - route it through the new switch rather than the microswitch.

A 4-lobe cam on one of the axles - was that too much to ask?

====

Also as I recall, some of these had green boilers, some black. Weaver offered both. Mine is black.

They are delicate around the running boards above the cylinders. Had to fix one of mine (epoxy; easy). 

Beautiful locos - real and model.

Last edited by D500

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.