Skip to main content

I have a few Lioncheif locos and they sound great.  The only issue I have is 1 chuff per rev.  Any way of changing that?  I know on older TMCC ones I had some moded with some mini magnets on the drivers.

I haven't opened one up yet but has anyone tried this?

These are standard Lioncheif not the Plus.  

Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you perform a forum search for super chuffer and chuff generator, you will find some info on gunrunnerjohn's add on circuit  board. He has a few links in his signature line. Someone with more expertise will comment. I'm not sure if these will work for sure in Lionchief, you may need to add a tach strip to the motor. Not sure if it will work at all, but I would start there.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/t...n-enhancement?page=5

JD

I haven't tried my gadget on the LC locomotives.  They have a optical chopper on the smoke pump that generates the chuff.  I don't know if I could fit my Chuff-Generator to that model or not.  Obviously, it uses a logic signal to signal the chuff, so that part seems compatible.  Truthfully, the topic has never come up before.

For TMCC stuff, no sweat at all, that's what the Chuff-Generator was designed for.

I've fiddled around with this a bit but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the trouble.  I had 4 chuffs working on a LC Polar Express engine and it just sounded awful to me.  The sound system can not keep up and it just makes a 'gunfire' sound with an occasional full chuff.  Here's a clip from the experiment:  

I've been kicking around some other ideas, but they all revolve around installing a separate sound system, and nothing has gotten past the 'thinkin' 'bout it' stage.  

JGL

Attachments

Videos (1)
IMG_4232-1
Jdevleerjr posted:

I have a few Lioncheif locos and they sound great.  The only issue I have is 1 chuff per rev.  Any way of changing that?  I know on older TMCC ones I had some moded with some mini magnets on the drivers. I haven't opened one up yet but has anyone tried this? These are standard Lioncheif not the Plus.  

Thanks

Did not realize these steamers only had one chuff per revolution.

JohnGaltLine posted:

I've fiddled around with this a bit but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the trouble.  I had 4 chuffs working on a LC Polar Express engine and it just sounded awful to me.  The sound system can not keep up and it just makes a 'gunfire' sound with an occasional full chuff.  Here's a clip from the experiment:  

I've been kicking around some other ideas, but they all revolve around installing a separate sound system, and nothing has gotten past the 'thinkin' 'bout it' stage.  

JGL

That is a very interesting and enlightening video. (I'd leave it like that just for the entertainment value!)

Any idea why the Lionel LionChief sounds like that? Doesn't MTH's RailKing come with 4 chuffs?

BobbyD posted:

That is a very interesting and enlightening video. (I'd leave it like that just for the entertainment value!)

Any idea why the Lionel LionChief sounds like that? Doesn't MTH's RailKing come with 4 chuffs?

The hardware in use for sound on this engine is very low end.  It's not exactly the same but you can think of it like having an MP3 player (or CD player) and each time the chuff switch is pressed it presses the previous track button.  At a certain speed you are restarting the sound clip before the player has had time to get going from the last time it was restarted.  RailKing engines come with the full on DCS hardware installed, including the same sort of sound system used on higher end locomotives.  I'm not particularly familiar with how that system works but from what I gather it uses small clips of sound as well, just a processor that is capable of keeping up with quickly changing between files.  I believe it also has different length files for different speeds.  Anyway, why's it sound like that, and why just 1 chuff in the first place?  It's low end, off the shelf electronics tech designed with the cheap parts available five years ago.  Designed and built today it's likely you'd have better sound... and maybe we'll see that with the engines coming in the future as the BLE bluetooth ones have a much more powerful microprocessor than previous versions.  

JGL

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.