Skip to main content

Hello , I am new to the forum and model trains in general. I've been messing around with scarm trying to get a track layout figured out, I believe I boxed myself in with this particular layout. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John

Attachments

Images (1)
  • John17 Final
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My question is if there is enough space to get over the inside track from the O72 switch. It also makes a difference if you are running postwar or modern equipment. Postwar is probably ok with standard Lionel O gauge 4.75 inch clearance......modern stuff may require higher clearances.

What about starting the climb from the "east" end, using a O31 switch where the vertical 10 inch straight is......it gives you a few more track sections to make your climb.

Peter

Last edited by Putnam Division

Putnam (Peter) is correct. Move the switch to east where the straight is between the curves. it's time to learn heights and grades. Coloring the track makes it hard to work with the layout. The tracks will behave separately. Color the line last.

The Lionel graduated trestle set  is 11 pieces to 5 3/4" inches up and 11 down. The MTH set is 12 pieces to 6.5" Both are around a 4.7% grade.

So, the blue track from the top and to the bottom crosses the lower track twice. That area needs to be the same height at 5 3/4". That reduces the amount of track for the length of the grade. Moving the switch provides a few more feet.

Also, the O31 switch length is not 10', but it is 11 3/8". Add a 1 3/8" piece to the end past the turnout.

Glad you like it John, I would be happy to answer any questions.  

AnyRail has a free download that allows you to work with up to 50 sections of track.   Purchase license is inexpensive.   They continue to add features and additional track sections, the update that installed this afternoon added Z scale track additions.  

AnyRail is an easy "drag and drop" system.   This layout took 30 minutes or so to work out, fitting the small sections and etc.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.