Skip to main content

It's my stuff, so my choice. I feel freights should be headed by black engines. Picked up a 402 that someone had started on. Missing most all the trim on the shell, but it has been stripped and primed. The frame and motors have already been restored, to bad only one motor goes. More work.  Shell is now black waiting for a big batch of original trim to show up.

Steve

Lionel 402

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Lionel 402
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Steve, great job on the 402, and the revised layout is awesome.  I still think that curved Erector-set bridge is the coolest thing out there.  Super video.  That's a big heavy train on a roll.  The 402's and 408's are the workhorses, great engines that will pull anything, and look impressive doing it.

david

Jim Waterman posted:

So has anyone attempted to cover over the punched oval holes and decal the engine in New York Central? Always thought it would be cool to decorate one of these similar to the original. And yes they are GREAT for freight. Have used one of mine to haul 40 or so 200 series freights on the Std Modular layout.

Jim Waterman

I remember seeing pictures of someone covering holes on another tinplate piece.  It should not be that hard.  My understanding is that you strip the metal clean and fill the area with something that is sand-able.  Bondo might work best.  Then you sand that area smooth and prime the whole body before finishing.

George

George S posted:
Jim Waterman posted:

So has anyone attempted to cover over the punched oval holes and decal the engine in New York Central? Always thought it would be cool to decorate one of these similar to the original. And yes they are GREAT for freight. Have used one of mine to haul 40 or so 200 series freights on the Std Modular layout.

Jim Waterman

I remember seeing pictures of someone covering holes on another tinplate piece.  It should not be that hard.  My understanding is that you strip the metal clean and fill the area with something that is sand-able.  Bondo might work best.  Then you sand that area smooth and prime the whole body before finishing.

George

Here is an excerpt from an article in CTT.

"Holes in car bodies can be plugged with automotive body putty or any of the commercial epoxy fillers available at hardware stores. I've had fine results with the gray epoxy in the double syringe dispenser and the stuff that comes in blue and yellow strips.

Automotive glazing and spot putty, a quick drying filler, can be used on a minor rough spot and as a finish over body putty repairs. It is important that the patch is sanded very smooth and dovetailed with the metal before painting."

In looking at the original photo on this thread, those holes look to be clean through.  I have seen some other bodies where it is just an indentation.  If you are trying to fill an empty space, you will either need to solder a backing behind the hole or try to cut a piece of tin to fill the hole and weld it in.  Both are possible depending on your determination. 

George

Last edited by George S

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.