Skip to main content

Good morning....This is how I installed the Kadee couplers. MTH did such a nice job of minimizing the gap between swinging pilot and frame I thought I would keep that feature, normally I fix my pilots.                                                          I used and old claw coupler, just the bottom steel piece with the round button on it and cut that off and drilled a new mounting hole for the Kadee, mounting the Kadee on the top side. Hope the photos explain everything better than I. Going this route I can convert back to electric claws. Had to really tighten the mount to the truck to keep it from moving, I also put some blue lock tight on the mount and all screws.

IMG_5818IMG_5819IMG_5820IMG_5821IMG_5822IMG_5833

Attachments

Images (6)
  • IMG_5818
  • IMG_5819
  • IMG_5820
  • IMG_5821
  • IMG_5822
  • IMG_5833
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nice job Clem!!  I too have been working on converting some of my lionel engines,  like you I used the same approach and found that no matter how much I tightened the center screw,  eventually the Kadee box would not stay centered.  I remedied the problem by cutting a piece of styrene just wide enough to fit through the rear pilot and the problem went away.  Here are a few pic,  still need to be trimmed and painted.IMG_1380IMG_1379

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_1380
  • IMG_1379

Hi Doug   You will like this engine it really does run well, pulls more than it should. looks best running less then 15mph. The ground pickup is weak, I hope MTH comes up with a solution. Inside looks like it is set up for 2/3 rail. I can see how the 2 railers would like this locomotive, its really heavy.

Clem

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.