Skip to main content

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't know this. I'm searching after reading a comment made about the size of the SP lettering size on the daylight. I do know that there's small and large lettering in the daylight color scheme. I can't seem to find what scheme was used in each repaint?

Was the small lettering the "as delivered" scheme? Is there some website that lists when each scheme (large and small) was used?

I see the history and a general description on this page:

http://4449.com/history.html

Maybe I'm overlooking the lettering size??? Is it tied to the years of service? Were different road # GS4s in different schemes? When I search for pictures I see both sizes come up.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well ....? I purchased a book called "Those Daylight 4-8-4's" by R. Church thinking I could learn about the whole GS class locos on the SP. Scanning the pages now after it just arrived, the only thing I see is that at some point (1954?) they removed the "Lines" from the SP lettering. I still see examples of all the engines with both large and small lettering?

I'm trying to get a lot of info to sink in. Seems like there's a lot to study of the orders and the upgrades.

I did notice that the design of the engines was done under the direction of George McCormick, Gen. Superintendent of Motive Power for SP. I wonder what relation to Doyle (if any)?

Engineer-Joe posted:

Well ....? I purchased a book called "Those Daylight 4-8-4's" by R. Church thinking I could learn about the whole GS class locos on the SP. Scanning the pages now after it just arrived, the only thing I see is that at some point (1954?) they removed the "Lines" from the SP lettering.

You must not have read the information correctly, or misunderstood it. Beginning in 1946, the SP began to eliminate the "Southern Pacific Lines" in small lettering, up high on the tenders. The new styling was the large "bill board" letting on the middle sides of the tenders, i.e. SOUTHERN PACIFIC. I guess it comes down to reading and comprehension.

I still see examples of all the engines with both large and small lettering?

Obviously you would since it took the SP more than a year to repaint/reletter all their locomotives and passenger equipment.

I'm trying to get a lot of info to sink in. Seems like there's a lot to study of the orders and the upgrades.

Not really.

I did notice that the design of the engines was done under the direction of George McCormick, Gen. Superintendent of Motive Power for SP. I wonder what relation to Doyle (if any)?

No. Doyle in Irish, i.e. the family name is spelled McCormack. The Scottish spelling would be McCormick. 

Last edited by Hot Water

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.