Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Dewey Trogdon:

Yep, finally in real workhorse black.

Finally?  It's the same paint scheme she wore from 1996-98.  The picture below was from the 2nd to last day under steam in September 1998 at the runbys in Chickamauga, GA.  It will be good tos ee the old girl under steam once again.  The mood that day wasn't very festive to say the least.

4501 last stand 1998

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 4501 last stand 1998

Great to see her coming back.  I guess that I'll miss the Crescent green, which was the only way that I ever saw her, but, after all, she is an old freight workhorse, not a thoroughbred, and she had never seen flashy paint when she was in regular service.  Heck, she probably was never even washed on a regular bases!

Paul Fischer

kgdjpubs, you must be of the younger generation:

When I refer to "finally in black" I am thinking of when she toiled as Kentucky & Tennessee #12 pushing and pulling coal hoppers. She eventually went to Southern Green as a fan trip engine after Paul Merriman, DuPont retiree, bought her from K&T.

I bought two of the Lionel 1992 4501 green models and had one painted in workhorse black to make myself happy. My Dealer cringed.

One of them shown bottom right in photo...

IMG_1749

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1749
Last edited by Dewey Trogdon
Originally Posted by Dewey Trogdon:

kgdjpubs, you must be of the younger generation:

When I refer to "finally in black" I am thinking of when she toiled as Kentucky & Tennessee #12 pushing and pulling coal hoppers. She eventually went to Southern Green as a fan trip engine after Paul Merriman, DuPont retiree, bought her from K&T.

I bought two of the Lionel 1992 4501 green models and had one painted in workhorse black to make myself happy. My Dealer cringed.

One of them shown bottom right in photo...

I know.  I remember her well in Southern green.  She was in green paint the first time I ever saw her in North Carolina.  I also was able to see and ride behind her twice in black between 1996-98.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as she is running, I don't care if they paint her pink with purple spots.  It will be nice to see her out on the road again.

Kevin

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.