Skip to main content

I know for awhile, with small stores in my community, They didn't want to take $50 or $100 bills due to the threat of getting a counterfit bill.  

Are $50's & $100's readily accepted by the vendors at York?  The reason I ask is:  A few of those fit in my wallet a lot better than a ton of $20's.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've never had anyone question a large bill.  People will probably check for the strips, so it's maybe better to carry more recent versions with that feature. 

Of course the treasury changes what the darn things look like so often now to try to beat the counterfeiters, it's unfortunately harder to memorize all the (quite valid) variants.

While I've never lost one like CW, I almost did the equivalent once when I unintentionally paid for my breakfast at the golden arches with a larger bill than I thought I had handed the cashier!

-Dave

Originally Posted by 69nickeycamaro:

.........on the other side of the coin i sold a car last summer and told the guy cash no checks, he paid in 10's and 20's you should have seen the look i got at the bank.

I did a double take there until I realized you meant a real car(as in automobile) not a piece of rolling stock!

That must have been one big bag of 10's/20's!

-Dave

Last edited by Dave45681

By law everyone must accept them otherwise the debt they are being offered as payment for is forgiven, ie: item you are buying is essentially free as your offer of legal tender was not accepted.  The only exception would be if you are providing legal tender maliciously and it can be proven, ie: using a $100 bill to pay for a cup of lemonade at a lemonade stand or shipping $1000 worth of pennies to someone to settle a debt.

--Greg

Last edited by Greg Houser
Originally Posted by Greg Houser:

By law everyone must accept them otherwise the debt they are being offered as payment for is forgiven, ie: item you are buying is essentially free as your offer of legal tender was not accepted.  The only exception would be if you are providing legal tender maliciously and it can be proven, ie: using a $100 bill to pay for a cup of lemonade at a lemonade stand or shipping $1000 worth of pennies to someone to settle a debt.

--Greg

Our bank charges 10% to convert change into other forms of currency people want such as bills. Unless the guy owed $1,000 was willing to accept $900, he's getting pennies

Last edited by Lima

--Greg

You are not settling a Debt,you are attempting to purchase an Item from a Private Business/individual.

They absolutely can refuse your form of currency.

Originally Posted by KevinB:

--Greg

You are not settling a Debt,you are attempting to purchase an Item from a Private Business/individual.

They absolutely can refuse your form of currency.

That is a common misconception,there is no law that says they have to accept cash. 

FEDERAL RESERVE

Jerry

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.