Skip to main content

Hello Forum Members,

In the market for a 6-28398 Lionel BNSF Die-cast ES44, cab number 6436.  I already have the 6431 and am looking to compliment with the second road number that was released. 

Please email me if anyone has one and is willing to sell.    

Best,

Michael

wings6184@aol.com

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There was a fellow (near the Wilkes-Barre, PA area) who had one on eBay over the weekend.  Listed it for $1800.    He had a bunch of high-end Vision Line stuff he was "liquidating".  Not sure what happened though, as he pulled all his listings within a day or two.  The asking prices were in whatever part of the atmosphere is above the stratosphere (i.e., like two GE Hybrids for $2,500/each), so I seriously doubt everything sold.  Perhaps he had second thoughts about selling. 

With Christmas season approaching, it seems the sellers are really cranking up asking prices this season.  So get ready to dig deep if you find one.  I'm on the hunt for one of these too, but it's not a priority must-have item and I'm not willing to pay envelope-pushing prices.  

David

Originally Posted by Rocky Mountaineer:

There was a fellow (near the Wilkes-Barre, PA area) who had one on eBay over the weekend.  Listed it for $1800.    He had a bunch of high-end Vision Line stuff he was "liquidating".  Not sure what happened though, as he pulled all his listings within a day or two.  The asking prices were in whatever part of the atmosphere is above the stratosphere (i.e., like two GE Hybrids for $2,500/each), so I seriously doubt everything sold.  Perhaps he had second thoughts about selling. 

With Christmas season approaching, it seems the sellers are really cranking up asking prices this season.  So get ready to dig deep if you find one.  I'm on the hunt for one of these too, but it's not a priority must-have item and I'm not willing to pay envelope-pushing prices.  

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.  I was watching all of those auctions too, but have since been pulled as you stated.  

Hopefully I could find a fellow forum member here that will part with one.  Obviously it's something that will take time...like you, it's not an OMG piece that I have to have tomorrow.  Ultimately I'm just looking to compliment my 6431, which presumably is your intention as well. 

I agree about the trend in selling prices recently...

Best,

Michael

Originally Posted by F30MSport:
...  Ultimately I'm just looking to compliment my 6431, which presumably is your intention as well. 

Exactly.  The other option is to get Lionel's new BNSF ES44 due out in December/January for a LOT fewer dollars.  It's catalog'd with the golden swoosh instead of the green swoosh, and it's not die-cast.  But it'll do for what I'm trying to accomplish.

David 

Last edited by Rocky Mountaineer
...  Ultimately I'm just looking to compliment my 6431, which presumably is your intention as well. 

Exactly.  The other option is to get Lionel's new BNSF ES44 due out in December/January for a LOT fewer dollars.  It's catalog'd with the golden swoosh instead of the green swoosh, and it's not die-cast.  But it'll do for what I'm trying to accomplish.

David 

The Vision line version, 6-28350, has the BNSF headlight in the correct location above the windshield.

The Regular production version, 6-82205 does not. The headlight will be in the nose like on a Norfolk Southern unit. They said this tool cannot be changed per road specific detail. Seems like a poor decision in engineering and production planning based upon the overall cost of the tooling.

I spoke with him via eBay, could not agree on a price.

I guess an $899 MSRP offer would be out of the question then?   

Seriously... fair market value for this puppy would be anything from MSRP to $1,100 TOPS.  $1,800 is an absolute joke.  At that point, I'd consider buying Lionel's 115th Anniversary Berk with those funds. 

Originally Posted by BobbyD:
... The Vision line version, 6-28350, has the BNSF headlight in the correct location above the windshield.

The Regular production version, 6-82205 does not. ...

Interesting info, but I just can't see spending $1,000-$1,300 MORE on the secondary market for diecast and prototypical accuracy. Those kinds of things don't bother me at all.  FWIW, the BNSF ES44 non-VL version already appears sold-out thru pre-order (for $530 or so) at many of the larger dealers.  So I wouldn't expect too many around after they hit the street.  Even the $650 MSRP of the non-VL model may be a good deal once sellers get wind of this.  So we'll likely see a similar merry-go-round ride, no doubt, for the BNSF non-VL model.    

Trust me... there will come a day when sellers won't even be able to get an MSRP offer for the diecast ES44's.  It may not be today or tomorrow, but we WILL see it.    Happens all the time. Just think UP Veranda.  Or even better examples would be stuff from the MPC era that road similar price roller-coaster rides.  Folks can't GIVE that stuff away today.  Granted, MPC stuff is pushing 25+ years ago, but I'd hate to be the guy who paid $2K for a second-hand SP Daylight GS-4 back in the day!!! 

Meanwhile, I hope this seller keeps his duster handy.  He'll need it, 'cause his stuff ain't going anywhere at those prices.  

David

Last edited by Rocky Mountaineer

I spoke with him via eBay, could not agree on a price.

I guess an $899 MSRP offer would be out of the question then?   

Seriously... fair market value for this puppy would be anything from MSRP to $1,100 TOPS.  $1,800 is an absolute joke.  At that point, I'd consider buying Lionel's 115th Anniversary Berk with those funds. 

Originally Posted by BobbyD:
... The Vision line version, 6-28350, has the BNSF headlight in the correct location above the windshield.

The Regular production version, 6-82205 does not. ...

Interesting info, but I just can't see spending $1,000-$1,300 MORE on the secondary market for diecast and prototypical accuracy. Those kinds of things don't bother me at all.  FWIW, the BNSF ES44 non-VL version already appears sold-out thru pre-order (for $530 or so) at many of the larger dealers.  So I wouldn't expect too many around after they hit the street.  Even the $650 MSRP of the non-VL model may be a good deal once sellers get wind of this.  So we'll likely see a similar merry-go-round ride, no doubt, for the BNSF non-VL model.    

Trust me... there will come a day when sellers won't even be able to get an MSRP offer for the diecast ES44's.  It may not be today or tomorrow, but we WILL see it.    Happens all the time. Just think UP Veranda.  Or even better examples would be stuff from the MPC era that road similar price roller-coaster rides.  Folks can't GIVE that stuff away today.  Granted, MPC stuff is pushing 25+ years ago, but I'd hate to be the guy who paid $2K for a second-hand SP Daylight GS-4 back in the day!!! 

Meanwhile, I hope this seller keeps his duster handy.  He'll need it, 'cause his stuff ain't going anywhere at those prices.  

David

David,

I hear you.  It's just something that would be nice to have, especially as a compliment to #6431.  As you lamented, in due time and with patience, hopefully I'll be able find one at a reasonable price someday.  

Thanks for your input.

Michael

...  It's just something that would be nice to have, especially as a compliment to #6431.  As you lamented, in due time and with patience, hopefully I'll be able find one at a reasonable price someday.  ...

Definitely understand your position, Michael.  I've been there many times.  The real trick is to have the patience and good luck to find somebody who's willing to sell something like this at a "fair price" rather than always "pushing the envelope" to see how much higher a profit they can make over prior sales.  Just gets old after awhile.

David

I may not be typical, but up to date electronics is a priority for me. These engines are a couple of features behind. They are of course very special and gorgeous so there is that, but cost value wise for me, they're 5 years old. That's just another factor that can accelerate the loss of a premium price.

i would think they would sell easily at MSRP, and maybe a profit of 20%. I have seen crazy sales on eBay in the past though which I attribute are likely to be shill bidding.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.