Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

dkdkrd posted:

Sunset 3rd Rail did a run of these many, many years ago. 

I grabbed one of the Roma cars from ebay a few years ago.  The diecast (?) trucks were poopy, to say the least...crumbled to simply look at them...immediately replaced.  The o/a detail rather basic. 

But it's certainly an eye-catcher in the train!

KD

Hello, KD.

I have one of the Sunset 3rd Rail cars with the exact same truck problem. Would you be kind enough to tell me whose trucks you used as a replacement?

Thank you,

Bob

Bob...

I used MTH's O3R Bettendorf trucks, 20-89003.

Now, that's not to say I'm entirely satisfied with the truck-car relationship....i.e., I believe the car frame/body sits a tad high.  I have no prototype plans/data to back this up.....strictly a viewer's perspective. 

I gotta believe that someone/somewhere has a 6-domer set of plans with some measurements that would help me resolve this appearance issue.  The truck bolster/bosses on the frame could be reduced in thickness to help lower the car, but to do it well will involve some serious machining.  I'd rather do this once to an established measurement number, and not by guess-and-by-golly.

IOW, it's not a priority.  It's runnable.  It's, as I said, an eye-catcher.  I'll bide my time on resolution.

The MTH trucks, however, are excellent....highly recommended, albeit sometimes scarce when shelf volumes drop and China schedules become long and arduous.

I do sometimes wonder why it has not been made more available by the 'high-rollers' of O3R manufacturing, though.  I mean, prototypical or no, think of the bazillion names that could be slathered on the side of such a car.....expecially in this day-and-age of home brews, obscure-to-mega vineyards, etc., etc., etc..  (Whoa........!  Ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching!

I mean, a wine tanker is a wine tanker is a wine tanker.....period. 

But, then, .....just another voice whining in the 'winederness'.

KD

scale rail posted:

I got one in the box with no trucks. Used new MTH trucks and it works and looks great. One of my favorite cars. Don5b0657eea9e757c7cc6f7934a806b4a6a9413d6c-1_20131106-091646-C1-Trainz-3571317-00

scale rail,

Your car looks great.  MTH offers two types of trucks, the 20-89003 Bettendorf (like KD used) and the 20-89004 roller bearing truck.  Did you also use the Bettendorf?  Any issues mounting them?  Thanks.

Last edited by CAPPilot
CAPPilot posted:
scale rail posted:

I got one in the box with no trucks. Used new MTH trucks and it works and looks great. One of my favorite cars. Don

scale rail,

Your car looks great.  MTH offers two types of trucks, the 20-89003 Bettendorf (like KD used) and the 20-89004 roller bearing truck.  Did you also use the Bettendorf?  Any issues mounting them?  Thanks.

Used the Bettendorfs....more era-appropriate, IMHO.  Simply remove the old trucks, attach the new MTH ones.  No problem...couple minutes, done.

However, yet hoping to get some 1:1 data to verify car height.   IOW, should I alter (guess: lower) the car height at the bolster with the MTH trucks?  Any dimensional data from anyone would be appreciated.  

KD

Last edited by dkdkrd

Gene,

John Ford & I are building 10 of these with the intent of using Norm's decals.  We had some of the Sunset 3rd Rail models.  Pretty much junk and no way near a good model.   The ancient Thomas kits looked far better.  The best I've seen, so far, were brought in by PSC.  I think we have a couple on the layout.

We made our tanks from acrylic tubes with the ends machined so Grandt ends are recessed.  If you make it to OSW we'll see about bringing what we have so far.

Did John's domes meet your requirements?

Jay

bob2 posted:

When I get off the couch, I will check my "Train Shed" book on tanks.  I am almost sure they have a drawing.

Is O Scale so berift of trucks that we have to use MTH?  What about Yoder, Bill Davis, or used Athearn or All Nation?

No.  All those options are viable and Athearn trucks were available at Indy for the budget limited.

PSC.......[URL=http://s601.photobucket.com/user/jaycriswell/media/2011-01-19%2018.52.28_zpsdxksobog.jpg.html][IMG]http://i601.photobucket.com/al...2.28_zpsdxksobog.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s601.photobucket.com/user/jaycriswell/media/2011-01-19%2018.52.38_zpsovc6fvfi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i601.photobucket.com/al...2.38_zpsovc6fvfi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s601.photobucket.com/user/jaycriswell/media/2011-01-19%2018.53.17_zps2t5dnlxi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i601.photobucket.com/al...3.17_zps2t5dnlxi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Jay

2016-09-26 0012016-09-26 0032016-09-26 0052016-09-26 0082016-09-26 009Erik,

Nope, I it's John's.

MWB,

The ends are Grandt #11.  Yes, Grandt says they're for NG cars, but as far as I can tell, they are 72" diameter and work for smaller cars, such as the 6 compartment cars we're talking about here.  I've been told many of the Colorado NG cars used tanks with the same dimensions as standard gauge cars of the era.  Is that true?  ****ed if I know but it sounded good to me!

I machined the ends of the tubes, using a lathe, so the ends would be inset (just like the prototype) and also had to remove some material from Grandt's castings.  I did this by gluing a small stud to the inside of said casting, chucking it in the lathe, turning it to the desired dimensions and removing the stud.  I'll attach a few photos in a feeble attempt to clarify.

Jay

Attachments

Images (5)
  • 2016-09-26 001
  • 2016-09-26 003
  • 2016-09-26 005
  • 2016-09-26 008
  • 2016-09-26 009
Last edited by Jay C
Jay C posted:

The ends are Grandt #11.  Yes, Grandt says they're for NG cars, but as far as I can tell, they are 72" diameter and work for smaller cars, such as the 6 compartment cars we're talking about here.  I've been told many of the Colorado NG cars used tanks with the same dimensions and standard gauge cars of the era.  Is that true?  ****ed if I know but it sounded good to me!

Thanks!  I have wondered about their use possibilities - is it true? Dipped if I know as well, but the car looks good to me!

I machined the ends of the tubes, using a lathe, so the ends would be inset (just like the prototype) and also had to remove some material from Grant's casting.  I did this by gluing a small stud to the inside of said casting, chucking it in the lathe, turning it to the desired dimensions and removing the stud.  I'll attach a few photos in a feeble attempt to clarify.

Thanks, again!  I'll see if I can write up a little tutorial on posting from Photobucket and then you can teach Bob,

I believe my problems are iPad related.  Several folks tried to teach me with detailed instructions.  All failed.

My iPad software was three years old, and considered ancient by my computer guru neighbor.  We up- dated it to 6.1 this weekend.  It took an iTunes trick and the "cloud" to do it.  It might now work to post photos - but I have to tell you, it is more difficult to use than the ancient system I had.

Is O Scale so berift of trucks that we have to use MTH?  What about Yoder, Bill Davis, or used Athearn or All Nation?

BTW...I deeply, deeply apologize for making such a short-sighted recommendation (MTH...) for restoring to usefulness my own Sunset 6-domer oeno-tanker.  I totally forgot that this question was raised on the more hallowed 2-Rail section of the forum, for which there are, indeed, more refined (albeit pricey) options of bogies, Humphrey.  And, of course, as an O3R participant in the hobby, I dwell in the land of lobster claws for couplers.....another disdainful compromise to the senses.

I promise in the future to read more carefully the Forum headings on threads having interesting...and familiar to my own septuagenarian experiences...titles/questions.   I will tread more carefully when commenting amongst folks of more...patrician....tastes.

KD

Last edited by dkdkrd
dkdkrd posted:

BTW...I deeply, deeply apologize for making such a short-sighted recommendation (MTH...) for restoring to usefulness my own Sunset 6-domer oeno-tanker.  I totally forgot that this question was raised on the more hallowed 2-Rail section of the forum, for which there are, indeed, more refined (albeit pricey) options of bogies, Humphrey.  And, of course, as an O3R participant in the hobby, I dwell in the land of lobster claws for couplers.....another disdainful compromise to the senses.

I promise in the future to read more carefully the Forum headings on threads having interesting...and familiar to my own septuagenarian experiences...titles/questions.   I will tread more carefully when commenting amongst folks of more...patrician....tastes.

KD

dkdkrd posted:

KD

KD,

I would not worry about a wayward post now and then.  The 2RS and 3RS guys seemed to do it a lot on the O3R forum too

Last edited by CAPPilot

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.