Skip to main content

Hello All,

On Saturday I finally got to the some what final fitting stages of my 6-stall roundhouse and decided to take a few pictures. I am experimenting with a couple of different roof materials and a couple of different roof colors. Not pictured is a piece of the Korber roof material with some Flex Seal on it and that gave it a real nice tar roof look. One thing I never see in layout photo's is a roundhouse with a back shop. Using the Age of Steam roundhouse as my inspiration, I used 2 big boy extenders to make the back shop and it will fit 2 tracks out the back and plan to have a overhead crane for locomotive maintenance. If anyone else has made a back shop on their roundhouse, I would love to see it.

Thanks

Nick 

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_0262
  • IMG_0264
  • IMG_0265
  • IMG_0266
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello All,

The overhead crane inside would just be for static display, not functional and not necessarily to scale. I was also thinking of building a crane behind the back shop. I have attached a picture of something I had in mind.

I can't remember the degree of the tracks but I have about 8.5" from the edge of the turntable to the RH Doors. That gave me a straight shot for the RH stalls. The RH was a 7-stall originally but once it was on the table I realized that wasn't going to work. I have attached a few pictures from when the 1 stall was removed and the round house placed by the turn table.

Thanks

Nick

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Ridolfi%20Craneway%202
  • FullSizeRender (1)
  • FullSizeRender
NickPDX4449 posted:

Hello All,

The overhead crane inside would just be for static display, not functional and not necessarily to scale. I was also thinking of building a crane behind the back shop. I have attached a picture of something I had in mind.

I can't remember the degree of the tracks but I have about 8.5" from the edge of the turntable to the RH Doors. That gave me a straight shot for the RH stalls. The RH was a 7-stall originally but once it was on the table I realized that wasn't going to work. I have attached a few pictures from when the 1 stall was removed and the round house placed by the turn table.

Thanks

Nick

NickPDX4449 posted:

Thanks Alan,

You can see the water tower you made me in a couple of the pictures.

Stubai,

I just found that picture on the web. If that is your crane, can you send me a picture of it finished?

thanks

Nick

I sure can. I tried to post a picture of it this morning but it stayed in the que for over an hour. What is your email address.

Just food for thought...If you needed some extra height in the roundhouse you might be able to create foundation pieces (could resemble fieldstone or concrete) that would give you an extra 1/2"-1" (whatever you need)...Only problem that I see, is that you would have to either create new roundhouse entry doors or somehow alter the ones that came with the kit. I know it would be a little tedious...but you could always use a pair of the existing doors that came with the kit as somewhat of a template (trace on paper), and create a set of new doors out of scale wood, weather the wood...and if you have the skills...make a silicone mold of the finished set and cast the rest out of resin. The foundation could be made out of styrene stock or wood and clad with the field stone self sticking sheets cut to fit (I think Tichy sells them). I actually make my own from a silicone mold I made from the self adhered sheets, I cast them in resin, and cut to fit. Here's an example of some station walls (see attached) I created with resin cast field stone.

Sincerely,

Nick B. - Boston

Attachments

Images (1)
  • pic1
Last edited by NickBonugli

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.