Skip to main content

I plan to drive down to Manassas for the 611 excursions to Riverton Junction. I would like to chase the train from Manassas to Riverton. If there are any local railfans on the forum, do you know any roads that parallel the NS tracks, or any good photo spots?

I would be very thankful if you responded.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by pittsburghrailfan:

I plan to drive down to Manassas for the 611 excursions to Riverton Junction. I would like to chase the train from Manassas to Riverton. If there are any local railfans on the forum, do you know any roads that parallel the NS tracks, or any good photo spots?

I would be very thankful if you responded.

1. Check this website: frograil.com/tours/NS B-line; info a little dated, but still useful.
2. Get thyself a DeLorme map book for Virginia. Although I-66 runs through this area, the tracks are usually not in sight and twist around in all compass directions at certain locations. I-66 crosses twice between Gainesville and Linden, but I believe the VA State Police will be watching these bridges closely.

3. See my comments/pics of 2 places in this weeks "Midweek photo fun" thread.
Feel free to e-mail about specifics - I will be riding the morning train on Sunday, 6/7/15.

Just west of the intersection of Rte 55 & 79 (which is an exit off I-66 by a .large Exxon station,  turn north on Dismal Hollow Road.  It will duck under 66 twice, and then run between 66 and the track, but the track will be much higher.  Turn left when Dismal Hollow ends at Happy Creek Road.  Happy Creek Road crosses the railroad at grade (2 tracks) and then runs for a mile or so right next to it.

If you turn right at Manassas Ave, after the RR lkkeaves the road, you will come to Front Royal Junction, another wye.  I suggets you open Microsift Streets & Trips.

When does 611 run from Manassas.

Back in the 1970's when 4501 made so many trips on the line it was almost boring (to some) the only way to "chase" was to get around the train when it made stops such as a photo runby, or just maybe be a little daring and hope for some luck.  Back then the track was slow jointed rail (maybe 30 mph tops).  I would say pick your spot.  And enjoy watching it.  ray

Anyone planning on chasing near Gainesville, VA, needs to be aware of major traffic changes going on.  GPS cannot be counted on.  They have neared partial completion of the Linton Hall, RT29, RT55, etc. interchanges, enough to have complete chaos.  All GPS directions will probably be wrong, as Linton Hall (opened this week) goes over RT 29, without an intersection.  Recommend using 66 and RT234 to get to Manassas, via RT 28, and recommend RT 28, back to RT234 (formerly called the "Bypass" and avoiding Sudley Road).  If you are chasing from Manassas, it seems "easy" to follow Wellington Road, which somewhat parallels the tracks, but that would dump you in the chaos of Gainesville.

Recommend not trying to do this, but rather take 28 to 234 (again, NOT Sudley Road), 234 to 66, and 66, then trying to find a spot off 66 to exit, probably after Rt. 15, a few miles after Gainesville.

At least that's my 2 cents.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.