Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by moed321:

I missed it.  Now sure how so I have 2 questions 1. Was under its own power?

Yes, as it is definitely not a good idea to tow a steam locomotive, unless the main rods are removed. Now that 611 has returned to excursion service, she goes anywhere and everywhere under her own power.

And I would have thought the route would be Pomona, Southern Station, make the broad curve to loop around the city and then north along the line that is parallel to US29, correct?

Gilly

How & when did you get tickets for the ride?

I searched early this week and this AM. Couldn't find any information about the 611.

And, I knew a trip was down the road at sometime?

Darn, I was planning on catching that 611 somewhere in the future this summer even if we had go on a 2 , 3 day deal in Roanoke.

Oh well I'll be watching!  Please give us a report with picture of your day. And, of course have fun!

Larry

Last edited by Larry Sr.
Originally Posted by Larry Sr.:

Gilly

How & when did you get tickets for the ride?

I searched early this week and this AM. Couldn't find any information about the 611.

And, I knew a trip was down the road at sometime?

Darn, I was planning on catching that 611 somewhere in the future this summer even if we had go on a 2 , 3 day deal in Roanoke.

Oh well I'll be watching!  Please give us a report with picture of your day. And, of course have fun!

Larry

Never heard of fireup611.org???

Originally Posted by Hot Water:

Yes, as it is definitely not a good idea to tow a steam locomotive, unless the main rods are removed. Now that 611 has returned to excursion service, she goes anywhere and everywhere under her own power.

And I would have thought the route would be Pomona, Southern Station, make the broad curve to loop around the city and then north along the line that is parallel to US29, correct?

Jack/Rich:

In order to tow a steam locomotive, you'd have to keep the throttle open a bit to keep the cylinders lubed with steam/valve oil, is that right?  Is there anything else that you'd have to do? 

What about at the CVSRR, when the train is going North with the diesel pulling and 765 is pulled backwards?  I assume the throttle is kept open a bit?  What else?

Thank you in advance for your information.

Originally Posted by Standard Gauge:
Originally Posted by Hot Water:

Jack/Rich:

In order to tow a steam locomotive, you'd have to keep the throttle open a bit to keep the cylinders lubed with steam/valve oil, is that right? 

That is correct, when "towing" the locomotive under steam. Actually no different that drifting down a very long strap grade.

Is there anything else that you'd have to do? 

What about at the CVSRR, when the train is going North with the diesel pulling and 765 is pulled backwards?  I assume the throttle is kept open a bit?  What else?

Thank you in advance for your information.

There is supposed to be more live streaming today and Sunday:

Note 611 streaming video scheduled July 3 and 5, before it’s done with this season’s excursions.

Trains will live stream excursions with famed Norfolk & Western Class J 4-8-4 No. 611 on July 3 and July 5. We'll try for two great run-bys on the morning excursions from Roanoke, Va., to Lynchburg, Va., via Blue Ridge grade and again in the afternoon, when the locomotive tackles the iconic Christiansburg grade between Roanoke and Walton Junction. This is the grand finale of No. 611's triumphant 2015 return, so don't miss it! Watch it live, only from Trains!

One last 611 steam stream

Trains will live stream excursions with famed Norfolk & Western Class J 4-8-4 No. 611 on July 3 and July 5. We'll try for two great run-bys on the morning excursions from Roanoke, Va., to Lynchburg, Va., via Blue Ridge grade and again in the afternoon, when the locomotive tackles the iconic Christiansburg grade between Roanoke and Walton Junction. This is the grand finale of No. 611's triumphant 2015 return, so don't miss it! Watch it live, only from Trains!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.