Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Nick Chillianis:
Originally Posted by Big Jim:
Originally Posted by Hot Water:
The whistle on N&W J Class locomotives is reportedly supplied with saturated steam.

True, it is supposed to be piped off the the turret bridgebox.

Now, tell me which engine this Hancock whistle is from (one prominent forum member is disqualified from spilling the beans):

Gotta love that echo at the end.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Hot Water out with that gal on a few occasions.

Sorry Nick, incorrect.

WOW - this thread has, for all intensive purposes,  become a Whistle 101 course!  

Quite a bit of technology involved with this very necessary and important locomotive appliance.

One question that came up in my mind during the Whistle Shop video:

Certainly the whistle construction MATERIAL (whether brass, bronze, or steel) would affect the signature sound?

Personally, I would hope Mr. Claytor will reach some kind of agreement (truce?) with the 611 team and lend his 600 series whistle to be used on the restored 611.

The 611 whistle I dearly remember during the years 1982-1994 is the "Claytor Family Whistle"!  

Last edited by Tinplate Art
Originally Posted by Tinplate Art:

One question that came up in my mind during the Whistle Shop video: Certainly the whistle construction MATERIAL (whether brass, bronze, or steel) would affect the signature sound?

Also, does anyone have a current phone listing for the Whistle Shop?

Apparently, they are no longer located in Waterford, MI. 

Nope, but here's another manufacturer of reproduction whistles.

While there are three pitches to this whistle, there are also harmonics as well. As a trumpet player, I would have to say "yes", the material matters.

Last edited by Gilly@N&W
Originally Posted by Big Jim:
Originally Posted by Hot Water:

Sounds a lot like Western Maryland Scenic #734, with her Western Maryland whistle. 

You win the Cupee Doll!

At the risk of opening another can of worms, I thought the Western Maryland used Nathan threes, (at least on the Potomacs) not Hancocks. I've known that WM Scenic 734 carries a Hancock, but never read anywhere that its provenance was the Wild Mary.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.