Skip to main content

Hi guy's,

It's been awhile since I've posted to the forum. Hope everyone is doing well.
I was scrolling through my Facebook when a video popped up from the NC Transportation museum showing the 611 under steam today.

Follow the link to the video.

http://youtu.be/2XA_EZipfi4

I apologize if someone already posted this.

Enjoy

Mike R
Last edited by Mike R
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by jaygee:

The REAL 21st Century began yesterday !    Huzzah !

It's very nice to see the 611 back under steam again, and yesterday felt like a dream--still does, actually.

It was also beyond cool to hear the 630 wound up to 40mph with about 8-9 cars and no diesel, or the deafening assault out of the Knoxville river bottoms to Alcoa in 2012.  That engine made a believer out of me.

Actually, feels like a time warp at the moment to sit planning the summer with the 611, 4501 and 765 out on the mainline.  My, how the fortunes have turned.  Very interesting times that we live in.

Kevin

Originally Posted by domer94:

...is the engineer releasing blowdown steam for added effect?

I can assure you that the LAST thing on the engineers mind is creating "effects" for the railfan photographers. That's just not part of the operation at all.

In this video the locomotive is just starting out first thing in the morning. The cylinders are cold, so the steam will condense in them. Water will not compress, so if it was allowed to build up in the cylinder, it could blow a cylinder packing, cylinder head or even bend a rod. Opening the cylinder cocks to allows the water to escape. Once the cylinders warm up a little and there is no sign of water at the cocks, the engineer will close them.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.