Skip to main content

Bought (stole) a '54 PW 682 off craigslist in "a basket"!  The shell itself is in C8 L/N condition. No paint loss and white stripe is at least 90%.  Except for the dreaded twisted-off "rivets" in the boss.  It was all apart in a box.  Motor/trucks/smoke unit/linkage  etc.  Hardly any wear on wheels. None on the  rollers. Wheels roll free by hand.  Its from estate liquidation.  Everything looks clean with no rust or damage.  Probably hasnt been run in 50 years.  Ordered NOS "rivets".  Now Ill find out how hard it is to repair the damaged rivets. Maybe I got screwed?  Maybe not.. Stay tuned!!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by oldtimer:

Bought (stole) a '54 PW 682 off craigslist in "a basket"!  The shell itself is in C8 L/N condition. No paint loss and white stripe is at least 90%.  Except for the dreaded twisted-off "rivets" in the boss.  It was all apart in a box.  Motor/trucks/smoke unit/linkage  etc.  Hardly any wear on wheels. None on the  rollers. Wheels roll free by hand.  Its from estate liquidation.  Everything looks clean with no rust or damage.  Probably hasnt been run in 50 years.  Ordered NOS "rivets".  Now Ill find out how hard it is to repair the damaged rivets. Maybe I got screwed?  Maybe not.. Stay tuned!!

Interesting.  You didn't say what you paid but I can't see how you got screwed.  You know what you were buying and it ought to be a fun, fun project. 

So far including NOS parts & shipping I got $97 in it.   Been cleaning up motor.  Bench tested great.  Gears look new.  Theres a ton of Old brown grease in the gear axle housing.  Hardest part so far is making a "jig" to mount and hold the shell securely to drill out old rivets. Plus not to leave any marks on it.  Looks like .062" dia (1/16") dia. hole.  Glad I got a bridgeport vertical mill. Better than a drill press.  Waiting on parts.  So far so good but you never know whats gonna come up.   stay-tuned

Oldtimer

So you finally settled on a "Basket Case".  Glad you finally pulled the trigger on purchase of 682, knowing exactly what the key elements to look for.  NO mention of a tender though.  Just take your time drilling out the broken rivet/stud, and all should be okay.  Keep us posted on your progress and post pictures after it's back together.

Have fun

Update on basket case.  Instead of using a 1/16" (.062") drill I used a 5/64" (.0781") 3 fluted carbide end mill.  Its alot sturdier than a drill and made the hole a little bigger. Material not that hard but a drill would tend to walk-off center. Made a nice concentric hole.  Filled it with liquid weld. Faced off shoulder with a skim cut to square it up.  Still waiting for rivets so I can get the exact diameter and depth.  Looks great.  Meanwhile I got chassis,motor,trucks all back together and it runs like new.  Im impressed at the number of PW cars it will pull. Fast to. Teledoic: I had a 2671W tender on hand. With the light.  I know, I know, its not "correct" for the 682 but it darn sure looks good behind it! Grandkids love it and it looks like it belongs with the turbine.  Never understood why lionel didnt use the 2671W with the 682? So far Im thinking I got a great deal.  Stay tuned..

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.