Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bridge Boss, Silk City Bridgeworks, and TW Trainworx immediately come to mind. It's going to be a custom. Be prepared; "if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay". It likely will be expensive.

Don't be discouraged if you don't see what you want on their website(s). Contact them and let them know what you're looking for.

Last edited by Gilly@N&W

I have built several 92" long concrete arch bridges out of Meranti plywood with Poplar decks to span a deep valley and they are  dimensionally stable.  I use a bulkhead every 16 inches and a bottom panel.  Sort of a long rectangular box.  Very  rigid, barely can deflect it.  All clamped and glued together on a very flat surface.  Takes about 3 - 4 hours to layout and clamp up the first bridge.

I was quoted over a grand apiece for these 92" bridges in a laser cut trestle format at York.  Considering I need 9 good sized bridges I let the "concrete" crew have the job.  I just want to run trains, not worship the details. 

In days long ago we built bass wood ribs for the wings of a Piper cub.  Much along the lines of a trestle bridge.  Trust me, no warping.  Plane flew straight.

Last edited by Tom Tee
Model Structures posted:

BIGDODGETRAIN:

I build custom length solid wood bridges but 70 inches may be too long for wood due to warping. As mentioned above your best bet would be metal. Also some companies laser cut hardboard (masonite). I have bought trestle decks made this way but not 70 inches long.

Joe 

we currently have a wood 70 inch bridge.  it has seen better days. the main issue is it was not built to have two tracks and with the high and wide loads of today (bridge was built in 2001 or 2002) it is always being hit.

we are open to a plain bridge or some kind of arch bridge.  but I do not believe anything in the current form will work.

the bridge is at the top of this picture and is black

layout-2004-06 bridge small

Attachments

Images (1)
  • layout-2004-06 bridge small
Tom Tee posted:

Big Dodge,  You say an arch bridge??

The above photos heavily influenced the profile of my long span concrete bridges. 

Note, I say profile.  Three rail Disney imagineering goes into every bridge.

I am making a flock of free span arch bridges right now from 36 through 92" in length. 

Single track, double track, straight, curved, spirial eased, hinged, lift out. vertical lift, fixed.  They are actually fun to build.  Extremely strong.  If your benchwork in not completed, you can even build them free floating-self supported then bring the scenery up to it. I am not in a position to sell these, just a note of encouragement for you to get 'er done in house.

I would be glad to talk you through one.  I visit your layout every chance I get.  Mike Hayes sends me weekly photos, many using that bridge setting, Your RR may be the best all around train room I have ever visited.

Last weeks photos featured the rebuilding of the lift bridge. That says to me you all have the ability to do a nice arch bridge.  I am not a model builder, more of a carpenter.  If you posses that ability you can have your any size graceful arch bridge for under $100 built to fit any configuration,  That price includes two rattle cans of concrete paint.

I also built a multi arch concrete bridge.   They can be  made to pick up any foundation location by adjusting the arches.

straight bridge to replace an old wood structure that has been rebuilt so many times it is time to replace it.  the member who originally built it is willing to assemble a new one if we have to get a kit.  I would rather get a completed unit and just replace the existing one.  because we only have one day a week to work on things.

These are three separate wood bridges I joined together. The total length is 91" The two truss bridges rest on the shelf at either end, and on the deck bridge in the middle. The deck bridge rest on two outlookers attached to the 6" X 6" post in the center. The truss bridges are 36". These are made from oak, and are outside in the northeast PA 4 seasons, albeit under a roof. The open end is protected by glass panels, and the sides are shielded behind the soffit. 

Don 

n_a [21)n_a [48)

Trains 085

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Trains 085
  • n_a (48)
  • n_a (21)

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com