Skip to main content

Three Loop Track

Hi,

I am looking to design a track for a 8'x16' layout. I've seen some great posts on this site utilizing some of the on-line software. I purchased the book "Track Plans for Lionel FasTrack" by Classic Toy Trains. I am looking to make a track utilizing 060 curves.  I absolutely love the Three Loop Reailroad on p. 46. I've attached some pictures. The issues is that this layout is designed for a 12'x16' layout. I'm looking for a similar layout to fit in an 8'x16' space. I already have the 4 sheets of 4'x8' plywood and am open for suggestions. Getting a little overwhelmed and would really appreciate the assistance. I'm having some trouble with the software.

Regards,

Brian

Attachments

Images (5)
  • IMG_2065
  • IMG_2066
  • IMG_2068
  • IMG_2069
  • IMG_2070
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Best bet is to "build" an identical copy of the book's track plan in SCARM, a freely downloadable trackplanning software for Windows computers.  Once completed, then remove pieces of straight track from opposite sides of the loops (watching out not to screw up switch alignments and crossings) until you get down to the size you want.  If that doesn't work, you may have to look for other plan ideas or more space.

Also, notice that the plan in the book appears to have no access hatches, so be sure to build away from walls or "plan in" access hatches.

Chuck

Last edited by PRR1950

Brian,

SCARM is a Windows only product. The only software for mac is RailmodellerPro. It is not free. Trax is available as a cloud based tool, but it's full of ads and who knows what else. I wouldn't use it.

You really can't build this shape in a rectangle. It's a folded oval to make an over/under. it is 6' x 16' with a 4' x 6' and a 2' x 4' between them. Cutting the corners off and creating a 2' aisle provides reach and viewing access.

If 8' x 16' is the table space available, you really need to start from scratch. An 8' x 16' table really needs a 12' x 20' area. You will still have reach problems to the center.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.