Skip to main content

Built and mocked up on the layout in 6 hours.Will be taken back off detailed painted and lights added then re installed.I am going to leave the top as is.I wanted to add more truss work there but with it being so long I won't have acces if a train de rails or an area needs serviced.Any opinions on that? Nick 

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_0466
  • IMG_0463
  • IMG_0464
Last edited by rockstars1989
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nick, the truss bridge assembly looks very good, you captured the engineering design of the side assemblies very well, the vertical columns and diagonal bracing distribute the bridge self and loading (train) to the bridge decks which transfers the deck weight to the support piers. I understand the omission of the top diagonal sway bracing, if you derail on the bridge you have access to remove/rerail a car.

Years ago I built a 3 ft Miami Products kit bridge, I also scratch build a Warren truss and plate girder bridges from basswood strip glued together to make I beams and W wide flange beams. You achieve personal satisfaction in these projects and the model bridges  function as do real railroad bridges they carry and distribute the loading weights of trains. The bridges add much realism to a layout, the intermediate support piers are applied to very long span bridges, they act to reduce moment loads in the side assembly and also are vertical supports to reduce the force distribution in the structure and loading of the end piers. The bridge structures are designed to elastically withstand the shear and bending moments induced in them by the train loading.     

Last edited by John Ochab
rockstars1989 posted:

I am going to leave the top as is.I wanted to add more truss work there but with it being so long I won't have acces if a train de rails or an area needs serviced.Any opinions on that? Nick 

John H has a great solution. As you mention not only derailments, there could be track work and you need to get a hand in there.

rockstars1989 posted:

UPDATE Preparing scenery under and around bridge area.Nick

I think you need to incorporate "Nick loves Janet" into the scene via small graffiti on a pier.

Thanks for the positive feed back everyone.

Bryan,Tom Jr and anyone else near by I would love to have some people by soon I will keep in touch.

Tom-I took down everything in the center,it was just getting to hard to access trains.I did expand it a little wider and length wise.(How are you and your Father doing?)

I am painting and detailing the bridge in my shop installing lights,a side walk way,some osha ladders etc.

A few more pics…..

Attachments

Images (5)
  • IMG_0555
  • IMG_0553
  • IMG_0556
  • IMG_0563
  • IMG_0561
Last edited by rockstars1989
rockstars1989 posted:

John thanks I added some truss work to the top and left a couple open but yea maybe I will snug fit the last two so they can be removed good idea.Nick

Really like that bridge.  Great modeling.  I caught that neat detail of sludge spilling out from the foundry building.  I am really impressed by your nice layout as well.  I was thinking about my track cleaning sessions when I saw your long bridge.  I wonder if you could glue in small pockets at the corners for the ends of the top cross to fit into so you could easily lift them out.  They could even be made of cardboard and painted to disguise their purpose.  Just a thought.  I discover unintended consequences many times when I get involved in a project.  Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by pennsynut
rockstars1989 posted:

Here you go C.Sam this is stone mosaic sheet used for kitchen and bath remodeling.Bought at Home D.or Lowes.It makes a good old looking retaining wall.I glued it in place with liquid nail.Nick

Nick,

Great idea using the mosaic tile. Just checked my home depot and they have something similar plus some other styles. I think that I will save your idea for my retaining walls.

Cheers,

Sean

rockstars1989 posted:

Here you go C.Sam this is stone mosaic sheet used for kitchen and bath remodeling.Bought at Home D.or Lowes.It makes a good old looking retaining wall.I glued it in place with liquid nail.Nick

I was in Home Despot a while back and saw that. Had the same thought you did, but thought the stones were a bit large. In application, though, it looks pretty good and saves a ton of work.

BobbyD posted:
rockstars1989 posted:

I am going to leave the top as is.I wanted to add more truss work there but with it being so long I won't have acces if a train de rails or an area needs serviced.Any opinions on that? Nick 

John H has a great solution. As you mention not only derailments, there could be track work and you need to get a hand in there.

rockstars1989 posted:

UPDATE Preparing scenery under and around bridge area.Nick

I think you need to incorporate "Nick loves Janet" into the scene via small graffiti on a pier.

I sure will my wife got a big kick out of your idea! Thanks,Nick

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.