Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

wb47 posted:

question, I assume the helper is actively assisting, how is it controlled?

Not exactly "helping", but placed in dynamic brake in order to provide a greater load on 844, what with such a short light train. There is a crew member on the diesel to control how much DB is desired for load. When in power (if needed), the diesel is MU'ed to the Diesel MU Control Box in the cab of 844, thus the Engineer in 844 has control of 844 as well as any trailing MU'ed diesel units.

breezinup posted:

Nice video. At 5:25-5:40 or so, you can see the drone at the top of the screen.

Hot Water, regarding the use of the diesel with its DB, what is the advantage of placing a greater load on the 844?

Well for one thing, it is mostly down grade from Speer to Greeley, so having the diesel in DB would even provide load for 844 going down grade. Since the whole purpose of that trip was a "break-in run", the more load added to 844, helps in proving out all the various systems during the trip. For example, using the Worthington Feedwater System WITHOUT the throttle advanced, pumps stone cold water into the boiler. Thus, working a heavy throttle, also proves-out the feed water system.

From a YT Railfan • Playtime, One Minute

Union Pacific #844 at Point of Rocks, WY. 4/18/17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QybanQ6Buhs

What I find interesting about the Union Pacific 844, is how many YouTube Creators, are publishing videos every day the 844 is back on the main lines.  As of today's date there are about five to twelve videos per day being posted on YouTube.

Also it is fun to look up the all the articles being printed in small town newspapers.  

Gary: Railfanning on YouTube.

As the 844 travels on the main lineS, thousands line the tracks to see the Living Legend 844 and thousands more are posting on  TWITTER. Here are two examples.

Photo by: Melinda Keckler‏ - Source TwitterA UP 844

What fun in Glenns Ferry today!! Thanks U.P Steam. My ears are still ringing, What fun in Glenns Ferry today!! Thanks U.P. Steam. My ears are still ringing, ha ha.

------------------

Photo by: Linsey MaAfee - Source Twitter  •  Doing professional photography.

B U P 844

Gary: Rail-fanning on "TWITTER" 

Attachments

Images (2)
  • A UP 844
  • B U P 844
Last edited by trainroomgary
Kelly Anderson posted:
trainroomgary posted:

B U P 844

Looks like the old "Railroad" magazine.  Nothing wrong with that!

All sorts of "issues" with that:

1) No safety shoes/boots.

2) No personal protective equipment, i.e. gloves.

3)  No high visibility vest/jacket.

4) She is holding the wrong handrail.

5) If those are safety glasses, there are no side shields.

6) Wonder what she's looking at, as she sure isn't looking where she's going.

Kelly Anderson posted:
trainroomgary posted:

B U P 844

Looks like the old "Railroad" magazine.  Nothing wrong with that!

No offense intended if anyone knows who this woman is but.....this is simply an excellent example of a professional-grade, black and white photo of an attractive blond woman with the 844 serving as an amazing background.

If LIFE magazine was still around, this could be a cover photo.  It's THAT good.

A Short Story

I found this image today.  I like it because it is high contrast B&W.  I taught High School Graphic Arts and Photography for 36 years.  In the Darkroom, we used to use Kodak Poly Contrast Paper, with a No. 5 Poly Contrast Filter.  This process would have been done with an enlarger, and three chemicals, Dektal Developer, Stop Bath, and Fixer.

Now we can scan old negatives and process them in Photoshop.  I still have a home darkroom but I only use it for special projects.

A modern digital image is made up from dots and a Classic B&W Print, has no dots, called continuous tone.  Some of my clients still want continuous tone.  All the chemicals, film and photo paper are still available.  

B U P 844

Source: "TWITTER"  •  Copyright Infringement NOT Intended.   Gary

Attachments

Images (1)
  • B U P 844
Berkshire President posted:

So Gary.....is the woman in the photo Linsey MaAfee....or would that be the photography.

There are SO many cool aspects of that photo, IMHO.

Hi Berkshire President:  The information below is from the Photographer's "TWITTER" account.      https://twitter.com/photobyav2bme     Linsey McAfee    

"I'm a self taught mom and wife who is always learning. I'm a self taught photographer who is always learning. Photos posted here are my own work unless noted."

TWITTER Linsey McAfee Photographer

At this point the person in the photo is not named, if you can figure it out, please let us know.

Gary: Rail-fanning on "TWITTER" 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • TWITTER Linsey McAfee Photographer
Last edited by trainroomgary

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.