Skip to main content

I currently am running new Lionel 86’ Hi-Cube Boxcars, and I have about 1/2" clearance on one of my 108" curves.  My question will the Lionel 89' Auto Rack make the curve as well.  The Auto Rack are about 24" compared to 21" Hi-Cube cars, I don't have any Auto Racks to try out.  This is why I am asking for input.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rob-

Both cars were designed to run on O-54 curves, so 108" diameter curves should not be a problem in theory. Is the 1/2" clearance the measured overhang from the outside of the rail to the edge of the carbody?

If in doubt, you could make a clearance mockup of the auto carrier using a pair of trucks and a piece of wood. The trucks are about 3" in from the end of the car (3.5" if you are measuring from the end of the coupler).

-John

Last edited by AcelaNYP

I have both types of cars. My mainline curves are all 072 and greater, but there are still restrictions because all of my track centers are 4". They just can't pass safely on the curves.

There is another clearance issue that I plan to resolve by reconstructing my helix supports. I built it long before anyone made the huge cars and engines. The cars scrape the inside posts, and the locos hit the outside ones.

Originally Posted by Ted Hikel:

I currently am running new Lionel 86’ Hi-Cube Boxcars, and I have about 1/2" clearance on one of my 108" curves.

One half inch where, vertically or horizontally? 

If horizontally then on the inside or outside of the curve? 

Is the 1/2 inch of clearance between the car and scenery or trains on an adjacent track?

Horizontally my clearance issue is on the inside curve from the body hitting a retaining wall.

Hi Rob

Here's an overhead shot of my hi-cubes & some racks going around 102, 096 and 090 curves in my staging yard. You can see the overhang and clearance.

IMG_1626

Here's a shot of them going around the 102 curves.

IMG_1627

I  have 6 parallel staging tracks spaced 4.25" on center that all curve 90 degrees. The inside and smallest curve is 072. I put a string of racks on that inside 072 curve, a regular sized mixed freight with scale couplers (3RS) on the next track (080) and another string of racks on the next curve afar that (088) Th photo shows the racks easily navigating the 072 without hitting the smaller freight. It's a bit of a tight fit, but it's more than enough.
Curve Clearance

Hope some of this answers your questions.

- RICH

Last edited by richtrow

Rob,

I actually have Atlas o-108 sectional track and the Lionel Autoracks.  I went and measured, the Auto carriers swing outside by 1-7/8" as measured from the center rail, or 3/4" as measured from the end of the track ties.

I think its safe to say that the Auto Carriers are a no-go for you.

o-108 seems like a large radius, but for these models it is not.

Well I just gave him the exact measurements he needs, but I suppose he could go through this exercise to see if, in fact, my pants are on fire. 

Originally Posted by pro hobby:

Suggestion: Build a clearance test car that simulates the body over hang on curves as well as the vertical clearance through tunnels. This would avoid possible damage to either the boxcar model or external structures along the right of way if the boxcar were used for testing purposes. This test car could be pushed along the track to test clearances. The test car would use foam rubber blocks to test clearances without the possibility of causing any damage.

What is the exact wheelbase for the new Lionel boxcars?.  Also what is the maximum overall height and width of the car?

Originally Posted by Martin H:

Rob,

I actually have Atlas o-108 sectional track and the Lionel Autoracks.  I went and measured, the Auto carriers swing outside by 1-7/8" as measured from the center rail, or 3/4" as measured from the end of the track ties.

I think its safe to say that the Auto Carriers are a no-go for you.

o-108 seems like a large radius, but for these models it is not.

This more a confirmation than anything - I've recently acquired 4 autoracks and 2 of the boxcars. I'm building my layout with these being a featured element.  

I've installed most of my benchwork - trying to get as many straights as I can to accommodate larger cars.   Most of the layout fluxtuates from a Maximum O-108 to minimum O-96 -  except on a reversing loop which is at O-90.  I won't be running multiple trains consisting of these cars - but I will be adding some of the K-line 21" models to my passenger service.  It appears I shouldn't have trouble at 4.25 inch spacing on center, but is there an opinion on ideal spacing - particularly between O-90 and O-102 for these cars - and also - in conjunction with the also very large K-line cars?

Last edited by Jacobpaul81
Originally Posted by paul 2:

On my mainlines I have 0-96 outer and 0-89 inner( gar graves preformed curves ) with 4.5 inch center to center. The only time I have hit the auto rack on the outer mainline was when I was backing my Legacy UP 12 wheeler and the corner of the cab hit the auto rack but going forward I had no problem on any of the curves............Paul

Excellent.  Thanks!  

Originally Posted by Milwaukee Road Rob:

I currently am running new Lionel 86’ Hi-Cube Boxcars, and I have about 1/2" clearance on one of my 108" curves.  My question will the Lionel 89' Auto Rack make the curve as well.  The Auto Rack are about 24" compared to 21" Hi-Cube cars, I don't have any Auto Racks to try out.  This is why I am asking for input.

The 89' auto rack is nearly 24" in length coupler to coupler, the 86' hi-cube about 3/8 of an inch less. Not sure where Lionel came up with the huge difference in length.

As they mention, track spacing is as important as radius.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.