Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Agree! I use many high-class machinists tools for doing scratch building. And the one I'm using most of all is the ubiquitous Chinese digital caliper. I just bought my second one from Harbor Freight on sale for 20 bucks. In addition to measuring things, I use it to measure one piece and then use the points to scribe that distance on another piece. I have a 12" combination square, and a Browne and Sharpe 6" that I bought used. 

Another source of terrific modeling tools is your family dentist. When one end of a probe or scraper is damaged, they scrap the tool. I just picked up four more from my dentist. He now knows to hold them for me when I have my 6-month cleaning.

IMG_9728

I re-grind/sharpen them to make tools that I need. One is a scriber to engrave brick lines. I also use them to scrape excess glue from joints, applying glue precisely, and all kinds of other stuff. And their free. MicroMark sells them, but my dentist gives them to me.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_9728
Originally Posted by TrainHead:

How valuable are these type of squares for building models? Thanks.

Very.  Most folks are unable to assemble anyting with a 90 degree angle accurately by eye alone.

And, I actually use a set of 3 small antique carpenter's squares with the nice rosewood handles and brass bits.  Picked them up at any great-uncles estate and use these all the time.

The new one is a Pittsburgh #61585. It's very similar to one that I bought 10 years ago. Like most other Chinese precision tools, I question their metallurgy. The hardness and wearability of their products is questionable. I have some Starrett and Browne and Sharpe stuff that never wears. The American precision tools are infinitely better, but they're so much more expensive that, as a hobbyist only, I can't justify the cost. I would love to have all Starrett equipment. If I was a tool and die maker, I would.

IMG_3758They're so closely identical that I'm sure that they're all made in some gigantic Chinese factory some where. I find that I need to discipline myself to shut them off when not working with them. Nothing bugs me more than to come down in the shop and see the readout is on. I keep a supply of the button batteries. Generally, they last months to the point that I don't remember when I changed them. The new one came with one battery installed and one new one. That means that the caliper itself probably cost 10 bucks. Ridiculous. If they last five or more years at $20 each, that's virtually free.

As to the solid square versus the combination square. The combo square is clearly more versatile since you can separate the blade and use it as a ruler and cutting edge, it gives you a good 45 degree gauge, and you can add a center-finding head which can be useful. I don't have a need for a precision protractor which you can also add. I use some angle tools from General Hardware for angle measurement.

Instead of a solid square, I have two sizes of cast steel angle blocks. I use them all the time to set up walls, machines, and as convenient weights to place on pieces I'm laminating.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_3758

Trainhead:

As Andre said I use them all the time for marking, cutting and scoring. I have found the handles on typical squares one buys for woodworking pretty thick plastic sheets I work with. I prop up the plastic on wood or do my marking on the edge of the work bench.

I have just placed an order with MicroMark - 

83261 Thin-Beam Square 1 $17.45 

This should hopefully help things.

Joe

Thin-Beam Square

What about a machinist square vs an adjustable combination square.? Are they same or is one more useful?

The term machinist square can also be use to describe a combination square. All machinist squares are not combination squares though. A combination square has more than one head that can slide onto a rule. One will provide 90 and 45 degree angles and the other head is used find the center of round stock or circles. Squares with a fixed right angle head are machinist squares. Because the head can't slide it can be ground to an accurate 90 degrees.

Pete

Originally Posted by Norton:
What about a machinist square vs an adjustable combination square.? Are they same or is one more useful?

The term machinist square can also be use to describe a combination square. All machinist squares are not combination squares though. A combination square has more than one head that can slide onto a rule. One will provide 90 and 45 degree angles and the other head is used find the center of round stock or circles. Squares with a fixed right angle head are machinist squares. Because the head can't slide it can be ground to an accurate 90 degrees.

Pete

So what about this thin beam square that Model Structures is talking about.....is that better then a traditional machinist square or do you need both?

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.